Successful CP at Chennai! - Detail Info

USGC11

Registered Users (C)
July 31, The Process was a breeze.

Hotel: July 28

Stayed at Crystal Residency just opposite consulate, decent price and decent room. photos, Lister were just 5-10 mins away from here. go to http://www.crystalresidency.com for more info. throw in some smooth talk they could offer you 10% discount.

Lister lab: July 29

Rs 15 for auto and went to Lister lab. Its not so popular but just tell auto fella its on Nungabakkam and after couple of lanes from Taj coramandal hotel. Take a left while on Nungabakkam road, you will see Lister Lab on left after some 4 buildings. There is a new Lister lab in the same lane, this is the place where they do US immigrant Medical tests.

Reached there at 7.45 AM. We were immediately called inside. Showed appointment letter and passports also gave the filled in Medical form (came with P4) with one photo pasted. The young lady browsed thru my passport as if she was INS officer. (Later I found even Chennai consular officer did not take that detail look in to my passport!)

we filled in a form there and went back to be seated. we were called for blood test first and then x-ray. It was a 30 mins stint at Lister.

were told to come at 4.30 to pick the reports.

Photos: July 29

took a rick to Konica lab on Nungabakkam road near the Hotel/consulate. Rs 15 to auto fella will take you there from Lister Lab. Outsiders, When you are in Chennai try to act as if you have been there before (I know its difficult!). Tell photos of Immigration style, they charge Rs. 75 per person to be picked up after 3 hrs. If Immediate(30 mins) then I guess it is Rs. 100 something. I picked them up on our way to Lister in the evening.

Medical: July 29

We picked up photos from konica at 4 PM, headed to Lister picked the Test reports, paid Rs 600 each for Lister. We called Dr. Vijayalakshmi and took appointment for 5 PM 2 days before. Dr V works from Padma Nursing Home. Told rick fella Pachiappa college (land mark) and he took us to there, paid Rs 30.

Dr V saw us at 5 PM and gave us MMR and did some routine checks. Paid Rs 600 each and headed out for Hotel with our medical reports.

July 30: Complete rest, did not even venture out just to stay away from heat and dust before the D day. Arranged our docs according to the P4 order list.

July 31: Interview

7.40 AM, 2 mins walk from Hotel is the consulate. showed appointment letter and were let in. we just took plastic folders and covers.

we were showed to a building inside the premises and were seated in a AC room (new). At around 8.30 am all EB guys were given a document having the list and order of docs to be submitted. we were surprised bcoz we thought P4 already had one list. I saw in this list, W-2 ,Tax return copy and pay stub were asked, which was not asked in the P4 list. Also IRS 9003 was not asked in the new list. (funny, wonder why they do this). Do not panic , u will be having enough time to re-organize the docs. I again organized the stuff as per the new list and stood in line for submission.

after submission we went back to our seats. In the mean time the H1 and F1 guys were being interviewd at the adjacent counters. We watched as to how they were approving F1 visas. At the end we concluded 90% girls got it and boys only 50% (equal opportunity funda did not sound familiar here!)

we sat till 11.00 am just watchin events around us. Then we were called, the officer went thru our documents and passports. My H1 visa expired in my PP, he asked for my H1 extension copy, i gave it. He asked H4 extension for my wife, I said she was not in US at the time of her H4 expiration and hence did not apply for one. My company was involved in a Merger, he asked for news releases, i gave him a bunch and also my employment letter stated about it in detail. He gave back all the Originals and kept the copies. He asked us to sign the DS-230 part 2 and were asked to be seated to be called again.

we were called at 11.45 am and this time were told to pay the DD (Rs 3185, 65 * 49, make seperate DD for each applicant.) we made DDs at Bank Of India, thousand lights branch, 2 mins walk from Hotel.

we were happy to be called first and heading out first, it all happened as if nothing happened. All the tension and melodrama till the interview was over! Remember, your Visas are 99 %approved after the consulate receives the papers from NVC, all one has to do is present the documents asked, thats it! so do not worry too much about CP. Its very simple. I guess, u will know only if u go thru it.

Received the blue dart package the next day to my home address. everything was printed correct.

Thanks to all members who contributed to this forum and shared their experience. And Best wishes to all the future CPr 's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations USGC11!. Thanks for the detailed
information. It really helps.

I have a question. I am expecting september
interview. My H1B visa expires on August 20th.
In a day or two we are applying for h1B extension.
I do not think I will get H1B approval before
the september interview. I might have receipt
notice.

Do you see any problems with that? My wife
is leaving to India on Aug 10th. So I do not
have to apply for her renewal. According to
your information, your wife left US before expiration. Did she face any questions?

Thanks for your reply. If you want to email,
my email id is rmannepalli@yahoo.com.

As long as you have proof that you applied for extension that should be enough.

GC1... go ahead and

apply for both of your H1 and H4 visa extensions ASAP if possible.

or go for expedited H1 processing if you want to be on safe side.

Also once you get your interview date, send an email to chennai telling them the same, ask if you can come with H1 receipt notice.

And for H4 for your wife, ask your attorney if she needs one when she is out of US or if possible file for H4 along with your H1.

do not worry. you will be fine as long as your employer supports your employment at the time of interview.

Thanks. Well, My attorney told me that my wife
does not need H4 renewal since she is leaving US before the H4 expiration.

My H1B is filed today. I hope I should get
atleast the receipt by september 2nd week. I am planning to leave US by then.

Also I am planning to get a letter from my employer on their letterhead that they filed
for my H1 extension. I hope it will be okay.

USGC, Need your help.

I moved from X to Y company and my GC process is going through Y company. My X company H1 is valid until Feb' 03 & My passport and My wife passport has visa stamping of X company.

I got H1 with Y company but not stamped on passport. While applying H1 through Y company they told H4 for my wife is not needed to apply as her H4 is valid until Feb'03 (X Company) and we haven't applied for H4 through Y company. Does this create any problem.

Your reply will be great helpful.

Thanks

TXCowBoy....

I am not an expert in this but I can say this....

If you have 2-3 months time for your consular GC interview, try to get the H1 visa stamp of your current co. in your passport either by sending to St. Louis or travelling to Canada or Mexico.

If you dont have that time. Send an email to which ever consulate you are having interview scheduled asking for their advice.

I did not have my extended H1 visa stamp of my current employer but I had a expired H1 visa stamp of the same employer in my PP. Technically speaking the H1 extension or New H1 (if you joined another co.) approval notice should be fine but make sure of that before you go for interview.

If i am not wrong I remember reading some where that one has to keep the status of a dependent also current as the primary. Since your wife has valid I-94 till feb 03 she has valid status. But for consular officials I dont know if that is the yard stick. To be safe try to apply for H4 for your wife, a receipt notice can be helpful.

As i said if you have some time for interview you can easily get your visa stamped.

USGC11, congrats and Thanks for posting your experience

You mentioned about W2, did they ask for three years or only last year.
Same thing about Tax Return is it for three years or only last year.

Thanks.

USGC, is sailing permit is required document for Interview?

1. Have you applied for sailing permit.
2. Did you submit sailing permit at interview.
3. Is this a required document or is it better to have it.

Please Reply.

Thanks

I guess Saliling Permit ...

is NO more required for EB category at chennai. They have not asked for it anywhere.

I did not even bother to carry one.

Last edited by a moderator:
About Police Certificate...

Hello USGC11,

I have questions regarding the Police Certificate. Did they ask you at all for it? Would appreciate if u could let me know if it's required and if so, what's the procedure to get.

Thanks.

PCC is required...

I got my PCC from Indian consulate at Chicago. it will take 4-6 weks to get PCC after one sends the application.

PCC for my wife, she took it from passport office in India, just took 2 days to get one.

Note: PCC from local police station is NOT required for chennai US consulate.

hope this helps.

Company Merger

Hi USGC11

You have mentioned about a company merger and the consular asking about some docs for the proof of the merger.

Did the name of the company change after the merger ? If so, did you file an amended I-140 for the company's name change ?
In other words, were all your documents on the same name of the company (I-140, Pay Stubs and Tax returns)..

My lawyer is advising me to file an ameneded I-140 now, and my interview is scheduled next month.

Any inputs on this is greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance
plk

Please Advise me !!!!!!!

Hello friends,

I have send my filled in packet-3 to St. Louis on 10/16/2002. I want to know how many days will it take to get my interview date. And I am planning to go to India in first week of December 2002 for 2 months. If I go during this time, will I be able to get my interview done while I am there in India or do I have to postpone my journey untill I get my interview date. Please do advise me.

Thanks,
Braj.

Re: Please Advise me !!!!!!!

Braj,

I sent my completed packet 3 to St. Louis on 08/01, and then the checks were cashed after about 1 week. I though everything is going smooth. Then I got a mail from the NVC on 08/31 that I sent the DS-230 part 1 form blank. Which was bull-shit, as my lawyer made copies of the documents before sending it to the NVC and they were all filled up. NVC just lost it and they say, its sent blank. Anyway, I resent the DS-230 Part I form on 09/10 (my lawyer delayed it), NVC recd it on 09/17 and from then they took exactly 5 weeks to review which was on 10/23. The case was sent to Chennai consulate on 10/30. So, in all it took me (from 1st august) close to 3 months just for the review process and to be forwarded to cosulate. I would say, dont count on the time taken by NVC. you said, your packet 3 is recd on 10/16 by St.Louis. It might take another 8 weeks for the case to be finally reached to the consulate. This makes your interview in Feb. This happens if everything goes smooth. I would say, wait until the case is forwarded to the consulate. Then you will have a clear idea on when your interview gonna be.

My 2 cents...

Pattu007

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello friends,

I have send my filled in packet-3 to St. Louis on 10/16/2002. I want to know how many days will it take to get my interview date. And I am planning to go to India in first week of December 2002 for 2 months. If I go during this time, will I be able to get my interview done while I am there in India or do I have to postpone my journey untill I get my interview date. Please do advise me.

Thanks,
Braj.

pattu007,

Thanks for your valuable information. In that case I will try to postpone my trip.

One more question!!!! Can I request chennai consulate to send packet-4 to my address in Indian. Please advise me if there is any way.

Thanks.

Re: Company Merger

Even my lawyer asked me to file amended 140 and postpone my interview till i get the new one approved. I did lot of consultations with other lawyers and people who been in similar situation.

For chennai consulate, I found one can do the interview with the merger info (news clippings and news on web). I also sent an email to Chennai consulate and got a reply that I need to present proof of merger. they did not mention any thing about amended 140.

My new co. letter also mentioned about the merger. So do not worry. you can go ahead with ur interview date. just get the confirmation by email from consulate.

I although applied for amended 140 before i left for interview and got a receipt.

i found it was not necessary after my interview.

hope this helps you.

Originally posted by plk
Hi USGC11

You have mentioned about a company merger and the consular asking about some docs for the proof of the merger.

Did the name of the company change after the merger ? If so, did you file an amended I-140 for the company's name change ?
In other words, were all your documents on the same name of the company (I-140, Pay Stubs and Tax returns)..

My lawyer is advising me to file an ameneded I-140 now, and my interview is scheduled next month.

Any inputs on this is greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance
plk

packet-4 to the address in India

I had a similar question. the link should show the response I got in the following thread by veerender

http://immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=377468#post377468

Originally posted by Braj
pattu007,

Thanks for your valuable information. In that case I will try to postpone my trip.

One more question!!!! Can I request chennai consulate to send packet-4 to my address in Indian. Please advise me if there is any way.

Thanks.