Substite labor and PD

avi101

Registered Users (C)
Source: www.immigration-law.com

* Potential retrogression of the visa numbers in January 2005 brings back the issue of priority date on the spotlight. Under the immigration rule, the alien beneficiary "retains" the priority date once the labor certification is approved "and" I-140 petition is approved. Accordingly, unless the I-140 is revoked or the labor certification application is revoked, this specific alien retains the priority date established by the labor certification application. The same alien thus retains the priority date even if the alien starts a new labor certification application with the same employer or another employer. The concept of priority date is thus "alien-based" and the specific alien carries with him or her the priority date.
* The priority date is not only "alien-based" but also limited to a specific alien and cannot be transferred to another alien. Consequently, an alien who files I-140 petition as the substituting beneficiary of an approved labor certification application takes over the approved labor certification application but not priority date. Accordingly, an alien who files I-140 petition as a substituting alien establishes his/her priority date at the time of filing of his/her I-140 petition and not on the date of filing of alien labor certification application by the employer on behalf of the original alien beneficiary who is substituted. The regulation specifically states that a priority date is not transferrable to another alien.

Niceone 2004 is right!

I have checked with my attorney. She confirmed that the PD for labor substitution is the original submission date of the labor certificate.