Still waiting...

Irina_C

Registered Users (C)
Hello everybody again!
I have not posted anything for the long time. Nothing changed in my case so far. The new is that I had to hire a lower again. Couple of my friends in the same situation was culled for the interview in INS and they subjected that I will get one (lower). My first lower( with whom I was granted asylum in 1997) left the country five years ago and destroyed all closed cases. My file is gone. I needed to file form “Freedom of information …” to get it back and I could not do it by myself. New lower was glad to help me and represent me in INS (if I will need) only for $2K (lucky me). So, after many years of waiting I am paying again.
FYI. I was granted asylum in 1997, after five years of waiting, applied for adjustment in Sep 1998 , was fingerprinted in 2001 and… still waiting. By the way I usually call to NSC 0nce a month and talk the them, I even got a call back ( I am not kidding!) with the answer to my question. They usually very nice and continue to tell me that IT WILL BE SOOON!!!
Good luck to all of you!!!
-irina
:)

Originally posted by Irina_C
Hello everybody again!
I have not posted anything for the long time. Nothing changed in my case so far. The new is that I had to hire a lower again. Couple of my friends in the same situation was culled for the interview in INS and they subjected that I will get one (lower). My first lower( with whom I was granted asylum in 1997) left the country five years ago and destroyed all closed cases. My file is gone. I needed to file form “Freedom of information …” to get it back and I could not do it by myself. New lower was glad to help me and represent me in INS (if I will need) only for $2K (lucky me). So, after many years of waiting I am paying again.
FYI. I was granted asylum in 1997, after five years of waiting, applied for adjustment in Sep 1998 , was fingerprinted in 2001 and… still waiting. By the way I usually call to NSC 0nce a month and talk the them, I even got a call back ( I am not kidding!) with the answer to my question. They usually very nice and continue to tell me that IT WILL BE SOOON!!!
Good luck to all of you!!!

-irina
:)
Irina, do you have a case number and can you check it on the caseonline status feature? Are you sure they have your file in nebraska? you are in the same boat with sessanga. i am sure you will get your green card soon since i and couple of more people in this forum have recently got it. Good luck

Yes, I do have a case number and I can check it on-line. Actualyy it does'n tell anyting new. I am not sure that senator can help me. INS didn't lose me. they just tell me that I have to wait and it will be worked out this fiscall year. So, what else can I do? By the way, they tolled me that fingerprints valid for six month only:mad:

Irina_C,

Fingerprints are absolutely good for 15 months.

This is why I think sometimes it is counterproductive to call the INS cutomer service number.

I also think your senator can help you a lot. Your application can be approved right now and the INS needs to be pushed--and hard.

Irina, I don't understand why do you think that you need a lawyer? Did you friends were ask questions about their asylum case? I thought that for adjustment INS only have to verify that your asylum was approved, they are not going to reinterview you. BTW, I put results of my recent talk with INS in new thread.

I agree with this. They interview only a small random sample of applicants and those who have problems like criminal records or changed country conditions etc.

Originally posted by annv
Irina, I don't understand why do you think that you need a lawyer? Did you friends were ask questions about their asylum case? I thought that for adjustment INS only have to verify that your asylum was approved, they are not going to reinterview you. BTW, I put results of my recent talk with INS in new thread.

Thank you all for replay.
I don’t know if I really need a lawyer, but people tell me that i should get one just in case... I don't believe in my success anymore. People whom I know in the similar situation became a citizens long time ago , but I am still at the same place. So, with all my luck I will not be surprised if they will choose me for the interview. But I am going to send a letter to senator anyway, thank you Gilbert for the link.
-irina

interview

Adjustment interviews for asylees are generally quite light affairs, nothing compared to your asylum interview. The questions are "what is your name", "what do you do for a living" "ever belonged to the Communist Party" and so on.

Nothing to worry about.