stay in Canada, work in US

janemarple

Hi
I am on my last year(6th) of H1-B. I have got Canadian PR and would like to move to Canada. But I have an offer in a company here in the US which involves travel, so there are ok with me maintaining my residency in Canada and flying to the US for work. I will need to be coming in from Canada every week into US for work.

My questions
1) Which Visa would be the best to support this need? Also this company that I will be joining is relatively small, will this cause any problems for the visa?

2) I will paid in US dollars, How does this work? Can I pay the taxes in US? Will I still be entailed for the government insurance for me and my family in canada?

Thanks in advance for any reponses.

My questions

1) Which Visa would be the best to support this need? Also this company that I will be joining is relatively small, will this cause any problems for the visa?

-- H1- B

2) I will paid in US dollars, How does this work? Can I pay the taxes in US? Will I still be entailed for the government insurance for me and my family in canada?

-- Move to canada and start flying to US for work .Get US salary. Pay US tax. Take foreign tax credit for US taxes on cdn return and pay the difference if any. For govt insurance you and your family have to move to canada physically . Make sure you are able to maintain 2 out of 5 years for everybody to be eligible to maintain canada PR

But I am already in 6th year of H1-B

Hi bhand11683,
Thank you very much for the reply.
But I am already on the 6th year of H1-B. Can I get another H1-B before staying out of the country for 1 year? I thought the limit was uptp 6 years only and then 1 yr out before getting another H1-B

Regards

Can I get another H1-B before staying out of the country for 1 year ?

-- No.

When you move to canada then you will not be able to work in US for 1 year and then will have to reapply for H1- B . In short moving to canada on a PR has no advantage for working in US.

Is there any other visa?

Thanks bhand11683.

That gets me back to my original posting, Is there any other Visa like B1 that can be applied for getting back to work in the US?

If yes, what are the considerations for applying for such a Visa?

Regards

The 2 main employment visas that I know of which you can get from a US employer are H1-B and TN. TNs is only available to Cdn citizens and hence you are not eligible.

You could get L1 or B1 if you had an employer (outside US ) and who sent you for meetings etc only to US but not as a primary job in US on B1. You cannot get a salary on B1 etc .So you would have to leave US anyway.

But this raises the question that if you get decent employment outside US, you would not be concerned much on your US visits.

Hope this helps

Thank you again bhand11683. You have been a lot of help.

Since I have a good job offer in US... It would be great if I could go back anf forth between the 2 countries... The company I am going to work for is very accomadating in terms of supporting me in which ever way needed. i.e even working as a consultant independently .. and work for them...

So hopefully a B1 could be a option.. Again thanks ....

Regards