Status question??

rsemwal

Registered Users (C)
I had come to US on F-1 visa. After completing MS, I got my OPT (1 year) and started working in a company. But after six months the company closed and I was out of job. But after two months without job, I managed to get another job in a new company. They applied for my H-1 and it got approved.

Now I am thinking of going for H-1 stamping to Mexico. I was wondering if the consulate official would have any issues if he
knows that I was without a job for almost two months during
my OPT period. Am I correct in assuming that I was all the time
in status and hence should not worry for that.

Thanks

If your current employer had filed for H1B before your OPT expired, then you were in status. Also, your H1B probably has a new I-94 at the bottom? That would indicate that the INS considered you to be in status. In case the consulate asks you about those two months (unlikely) be prepared to explain that you were doing your best to find a suitable employment.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, my H-1 was filed three months before my OPT expiration date. I guess I should not worry about it.

I was wondering if the embassy official asks the details of what I did during OPT., should I tell him that I was without job for two months within that period and was searching for another.

Thanks again.