Status Information Letter - Selective Service

When i had called they said it would anywhere between 90 days to get a letter. So instead i went to the site, and printed one right away .... saying that there was no record.

Thats what i took with me when i went for my interview. But i was not even asked for it, which was a different story! .

So, if you have enough time to wait you can request one from them or just print one from the website.

Hope this helps.

Hi sreeleshk, hiamiyumi, and others:

It's great that you got the letter within a week. Can you please clarify whether you had registered for Selective Service or not. I am wondering if the letter for "No registration required with Selective Service" can be obtained on the phone.

TIA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi sreeleshk, hiamiyumi, and others:

It's great that you got the letter within a week. Can you please clarify whether you had registered for Selective Service or not. I am wondering if the letter for "No registration required with Selective Service" can be obtained on the phone.

TIA.

why do u need that, are u required to register?

I was not required to register since I was on F1/H1b before I turned 26. I got my GC when I was 28. So all I want is "No registration required with Selective Service" letter.

I was not required to register since I was on F1/H1b before I turned 26. I got my GC when I was 28. So all I want is "No registration required with Selective Service" letter.
You don't think an immigration officer at your interview will have enough mental capacity to figure out you were in non-immigrant status when you turned 26? Let me assure you, he/she will. Selective service does not know about you, nor should they know about you. So please do other people - who really need to deal with SS - a favour and don't hog their already busy 1-800 lines.

Hi,

The selective service form asks to fill out all USCIS statuses with dates. I was on F1, then got Employment Authorization Card (for Optional Practical Training), then H1, then GC. What does this translate into USCIS status? Can you please fill-in or correct the information below?

F1 -> student
EAC/OPT -> ??
H1B -> Non-immigrant worker
GC -> Permanent resident

TIA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you even bother going through all this hassle? You don't need anything from selective service for filing N-400.

Why do you even bother going through all this hassle? You don't need anything from selective service for filing N-400.

Yes sir you do if you were in any status besides that of a non-immigrant male before age 26. This includes illegal status!

If you failed to register kiss your n-400 goodbye!

Yes sir you do if you were in any status besides that of a non-immigrant male before age 26. This includes illegal status!

If you failed to register kiss your n-400 goodbye!
I was specifically asking pb74 why he needs the Status Information Letter if he did not have to register. If you look at his timeline, you will see that he was never in an immigrant or illegal status before turning 26 and, therefore, has nothing to do with SS.

I myself registered with SS when I was 20, and the officer at the citizenship interview indeed asked for the registration. But I just don't understand why people who don't need to do it still want to get a letter from the SS.

I just got my IL and it asks me to bring any Selective Service Registration Evidence to my interview (as a MUST bring item). To me that's confusing as I got my LPR status when I was 26 years and 4 months. Before that I was on an F-1 and then in AOS state for 22 months. My interpretation is that I was never obligated to register as I was not an immigrant or illegal while under 26.
I assume the request for Selective Service info in the IL is a standard line for all male applicants.

Does anybody disagree?

I just got my IL and it asks me to bring any Selective Service Registration Evidence to my interview (as a MUST bring item). To me that's confusing as I got my LPR status when I was 26 years and 4 months. Before that I was on an F-1 and then in AOS state for 22 months. My interpretation is that I was never obligated to register as I was not an immigrant or illegal while under 26.
I assume the request for Selective Service info in the IL is a standard line for all male applicants.

Does anybody disagree?

It's a line in my IL, and in my wife's IL too :) She doesn't care about it, but I am trying to get a letter for myself to be on safe side.

Update: I had mailed my request to Selective Service for the letter. But they did not respond before my interview date. I was not asked for it, and I passed the interview.