state residency

ForCitizenship

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I have stayed in the same state for over five years. In my citizenship application process, the state contacted my college for some reason. Then, the residency office in my school asked me for a copy of my GC. Does this mean that I am automatically became a resident of this state during this citizenship application process?

Anybody else in a similar situation before?

Thanks in advance.

Normally one becomes a "resident" of a state when you have lived there for 90 days or more. Not sure what specific rules or exceptions apply to students living away from home.

Which state(s) are we talking about?

I'm assuming that this is because "state residents" get a deal on tuition. Most schools/states have very strict, often very complicated residency rules. Go read them and figure things out.

The interesting thing is that, according to the constitution, you become a citizen both of the US and of the state in which you reside when you take the oath (14th amendment: "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

I would expect that you could argue state residency based on your taking the oath in the state (since the USCIS would have, at that point established that you are a "resident" of that state). Then again, bureaucracies are bureaucracies.

Hi,

This is a school from Texas. Guys, I just got a concept from there: Even though I should be specified as a Texas resident because of my upcoming citizenship in this state. However, for tuition perpose, I should still be classfied as non-resident. These are two different concepts. Have you guys ever heard of this difference --- Two different state residencies? Is there anything on the constitution regarding this? Or different schools make their own different rules?

Thanks for help.

My view is either you are a resident of the state or not - while you can't be a resident of two states simultaneously, although I could see a situation where your school might charge you out-of-state fees if you weren't a state resident prior to enrollment.