"Standard" I-485 RFEs?

My case is longer

bjorn said:
sarasota
My application and RFE is Vermont Service Center.

anxious_one
I've lived in the Us for 12 years. Undegraduate school, graduate school, OPT, H-1B... Crazy that one can live in the US for so long and still be the subject for possible GC denial. Talk about a screwed up system.

Well, I came in Summer 1992 as a student. Completed my BS and applied for PT, then H1b, which I lost in early 2001 as I got layed-off. Then I got new employer to apply H1B for me in 2001. Over 13 years! If I don't get approval, I think my life will be upside-down

I just want to get it over with!

It's amazing that in the US it's possible to literally spend 10 years in college (BA, MA, PhD), work on OPT 1 year, and then 6 years of H-1B and after those 17 years in the US paying for education and paying taxes be sent back because of a GC denial for some stupid reason. All this while Bush proposes to make illegal immigrants who crossed the border 6 months ago legal and then offer them a direct GC path without a sponsoring employer. Where is the fairness and logic behind this.

I've been in the US since 1993 between udergraduate, graduate and H1B. Same story :D

Keep the faith guys :)

bjorn said:
It's amazing that in the US it's possible to literally spend 10 years in college (BA, MA, PhD), work on OPT 1 year, and then 6 years of H-1B and after those 17 years in the US paying for education and paying taxes be sent back because of a GC denial for some stupid reason. All this while Bush proposes to make illegal immigrants who crossed the border 6 months ago legal and then offer them a direct GC path without a sponsoring employer. Where is the fairness and logic behind this.

Well said my friend. But even after 17 years, if the GC gets approved, it's rewarding, if not, everything becomes meaningless.

bjorn said:
sarasota
My application and RFE is Vermont Service Center.

anxious_one
I've lived in the Us for 12 years. Undegraduate school, graduate school, OPT, H-1B... Crazy that one can live in the US for so long and still be the subject for possible GC denial. Talk about a screwed up system.

yeah...US immigration system is tough on those of us going the legal, transparent route. When I see how long some of you folks have been here, I dont feel so bad about myself anymore. been here since '98...visiting scholar (B1/B2) to visiting scholar J-1 to H1-B...and still struggling and worrying about my I-485.

The irony of it is that my younger bro whom i helped file for DV Lottery won without any effort or lawyer fees or headache.I bet he is feeling sorry for me now that he is here in the US and knows what I am dealing with :(

idonno

Ok folks, if it is any consolation I have been here longer than most in this thread! MS, PhD, postdoc.

If you have seen my story in NIW forum, you may recall that I moved from NSC region to TSC region. NSC transferred my 485 twelve days and my 140 sixty days after they received my RFE. People who responded to RFE around the same time as me got both stages cleared. I got stuck in the retrogression.

Now I am wondering why are they issuing RFE for my 485 while it is retrogressed? :confused: Is it a blessing in disguise?!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Eb ?

bjorn said:
Thanks for the great response regarding possible RFEs. I figured that an employment letter verifying current employer is to be expected. I also just received a FYI letter from my HR that the USCIS asked for an additional $5 (yes, five bucks) for filing fee. Apparently, we paid $5 less than the I-485 fee, and have to pay $5 more. I recall HR paying the correct fee, but what the heck, another $5 paid by the company does not matter as long as the case is approved soon. Don't know if that's the RFE, though. My details are below:

I-140, I-485, EAD, AP submission date: 8/31/05
I-140, I-485, EAD, AP receipt date: 9/12/05
I-140 AD: 9/14/05
EAD AD: 9/21/05
AP AD: 9/24/05
Biometrics completed: 10/4/05
FP completed: 10/11/05
Name check: don't know date but according to USCIS my name check is completed
I-485 LUD: 10/13/05, 10/24/05
I-485 RFE: 11/4/05 (have not received RFE yet, but guessing it's employment letter and wife's medical)
USCIS letter asking for $5 additional filing fee: 11/4/05
I-485 AD: ???

Are you EB1/2/3 ?????

Ashton

Approval message

Bjorn, Sillious & others:

God bless you guys for your support during this brief time I had the honor of communicating with you guys here. I got an approval email for my I485 application...hope it is not a hoax!

here is my timeline.
140/485 concurrent. NON-RETRO, EB1 EA+EB1 OR + EB2 NIW
ND - Sep 09 2005
140 EB2 NIW AD ~Oct 11 2005
Biometrics (code 3) - sep 29 2005
485 LUD Sep 30, Oct 11, oct 13, , oct 17, oct 21
485 approval email message self & spouse - Nov 10

my other i-140s are pending...no LUDs on the EA, almost daily LUDs on the OR up till 9/27...then NADA!

Hang in there, guys, a positive conclusion is already in sight.

cheers!

anxious_one

A genuine CONGRATULATIONS! :))) Be assured, the approval e-mail is no hoax byt the USCIS. Look for the plastic card within a couple of weeks. I myself expect to receive the RFE mid-next week, submit my response within a couple of days, and then get an approval within a couple of weeks. I am as eager to get approved as you have been throughout the process. Again, a sincere congrats!!!

Thanx, Mr. Green. I wish you guys all the very best, and rapid approvals soon!

Now, I can step out of my boss' shadow and apply for my own grants! I am sure you folks know how frustrating it can be working without a GC under someone who is not necessarily more educated than you are.

I just got additional emails that our cards have been ordered.

That is great. Best of luck :D Don't leave your current job so quickly. I heard it might give you problems in the future. I would wait for a few months just to be safe!

Can you post your details please? What service center did you apply at?

Thanks in advance!

Mr. Green:

Thanks for your advice. The only way I am remaining here is if I get NIH (National Institutes of Health) federal funding + Faculty position at the University (Ivy league Unis tend to make that a pre-requisite). Otherwise, I am soooo out of here.
I hired my own attorney and paid close to $10K. I also went through the so-called, self-sponsored route to be safe.

VSC. Non Retro
140 EB1-OR/EB1-EA/EB2-NIW, EAD + 485 self+spouse (ND 9-13 sept 2005)
Code 3 Biometrics: 29 sep 2005

LUDs
140 EB1-OR (almost daily, up till 9/27/2005....then NADA).
140 EB1-EA (no LUDs since ND...till today).
140 EB2-NIW (10/12/05 approval ) :D :D
EAD self+spouse (10/12/05 approval ) :D :D
485 self+spouse (10/3/05, 10/11/05, 10/17/05 --->10/21/05, 11/10/05 approval :D :D 11/10/05 Cards ordered :D :D)

I would have been bound to my employer had my EB1-OR petition been approved first, as that was the only one with my employer as petitioner, though I paid and did everything...all they had to do was sign one little part.

I guess the Almighty was just having mercy on me considering the injustice I had faced given the situation of people taking credit fopr your work just because you dont have a GC. Otherwise, my EB1-OR seemed to be the most likely to be rapidly approved, as my attorney said, and as the almost daily LUDs indicated....

hang in there guys, you have my support. Ironically, waiting for the 485 approval is the hardest part, because all the time and effort your have invested in this country begin to flash in front of you, and it dawns on you that you have too much on the line.

Last edited by a moderator: