Ssn ???

krishna108

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I am waiting for my 485 approval.
But I have a question for you guys.
My wife doesn't have SSN.She has TIN.
Is SSN really required for approval/Stamping?
Tx,
Krish

Krishna108

This is just my opinion and all other info from Standard disclaimer applies..
I don't think SSN is required for approval.
Do you have EAD for you and your wife?The reason why I am
asking this is, if your wife has EAD then she is eligible for SSN.
According to IRS individuals who are eligible to obtain SSN should
not use ITIN.Others please clarify if I am wrong.

Sept13

Krishna108

You need to have EAD to work and SSN to get paid. You cannot receive the payment on your TIN number. Thats the rule. TIN number is issued to the people, who are not eligible to get the SSN, but want's to file the tax return to IRS (for joint filing).

SSN is not required to get the 485 approval. But, having the SSN will definitely help your wife to build up her credit history, in some states gettting the drivers licence, get the pay (if she is willing to work and the employer wants to pay white money, not cash, and many more.

Bob

Apply for your wife's EAD and get her a SSN#. It will save you time instead of waiting for the I-485 approval and then applying for the SSN# which I am told is taking 2 months instead of the previous 7 days.

No, you do not need a SSN# for stamping etc...

Re: Krishna108

Originally posted by bbbishop
You need to have EAD to work and SSN to get paid. You cannot receive the payment on your TIN number. Thats the rule. TIN number is issued to the people, who are not eligible to get the SSN, but want's to file the tax return to IRS (for joint filing).

SSN is not required to get the 485 approval. But, having the SSN will definitely help your wife to build up her credit history, in some states gettting the drivers licence, get the pay (if she is willing to work and the employer wants to pay white money, not cash, and many more.

Bob

SSN is NOT required for building credit. My wife got a unsecured credit card when she did not have an SSN. She just used her ITIN on the credit card application. She also did not require SSN for Drivers license, bank accounts or medical insurance.

Re: Re: Krishna108

Originally posted by nkm-oct23
SSN is NOT required for building credit. My wife got a unsecured credit card when she did not have an SSN. She just used her ITIN on the credit card application. She also did not require SSN for Drivers license, bank accounts or medical insurance.

nkm-oct23, I am not sure if you and your spouse have received the GC. It's great that she was able to open bank accounts, credit card accounts etc.etc. It become very complicated to change the ITIN number to SSN# with credit card companies, Credit bureaus.

Good Luck

If you get a credit card on your ITIN#, you will build your credit history based on this number. If later you want to change it to a SSN#, this will be treated as a new account. You will have to start all over again. Your credit history will be lost. You may not even get a credit card. (except for a secure card). The faster you get a SSN# the better.

RD 11/29/03
EAC-02-063-54xxx

my view

Just take the EAD card / Driver's ;icense or any other form of ID + your passport to local SS office and they will deliver your SS card withing 10 days ...