SSN while I-485 is pending - A Saga

GaajarKaHalwa

Registered Users (C)
I went to apply for my wife's SSN after she got her EAD card. Her H4 is expired. She filled up the form, took it along with EAD and passport and went to the window and I remained seated. I saw the (illiterate) clerk at the window nodding her head as if saying no to my wife. Then I joined in. This is the conversation I had:

Clerk - *pulls out an old file with visa categories and whether or not that category is eligible for SSN* - She is not eligible for SSN as she is on H4 and that too is expired.

Me - But here is her EAD card. EAD is valid till 2004 and EAD is also proof of valid status *showed the clerk the paper that comes with EAD*, so long as I-485 is pending.

Clerk - *checking on the computer by typing my wife's A#* It says the application is pending. She is not eligible for SSN.

Me - But the EAD card allows her to work for any employer in the USA, so she must be eligible for SSN.
* I stick the card close to the clerk's face across the window and show the line "This person is authorized to work in the USA for the validity of this card"*.

Clerk - No, but her status is H4.

Me - So why has INS given this EAD? Are you saying that she cannot work in the USA?

Clerk - You can get a H1B visa for her and then she can get a SSN.
*clerk also gave me some other bull shit, which I do not recall completely*

After much heated discussion -

Clerk - Ok, I am going to mark her as a suspect and put in a request for SSN.
Me - Fine.

The clerk made a face and entered some data on the computer. She also said why I had come to this particular office as there is another SS office close to my home address. I responded that coming to this office is more convenient for me. I asked her for the name of her supervisor and noted it. We were given no receipt.

A week later, my wife got the SSN Card in mail.

Thanks for the post. Can you please tell the location of this Social Security Office?

Thanks.

Bobby:

Originally posted by Bobby V
Thanks for the post. Can you please tell the location of this Social Security Office?

Thanks.

Please don't hit the clerk too hard.;)