SSN for student

trumpVSrosi

Registered Users (C)
just want to know how soon we can get SSN after we being accepted in school (I-20)? I need to apply for student loan, cause I dont have money to pay tuition, kind of bankrupt. The other question is that OK for SSN office to let me have SSN, before change of status approved to F-1. Or the I-539 is enough for them to let me have the SSN number. I have all document like school letter, I-20, employment offer on campus, only not yet F-1 stamping (COS).

Please give me advise, I am lost in age of darkness. Think I am the poorest student on US. Thanks :)

u need F1 to obtain the SSN

Hi,
When u file for change of status and where? b'se i got my change of status which is filed on Dec 04 2006 on Texas Service center. As i can see , they are not processin the files according to what they specified on the web. U should get ur change of status as soon i guess. :)
Regarding the SSN.... as i know... u need to obtain ur F1 (unless ur current status is authorized to work...like H1 or J1/J2) status in order to get ur SSN. In some cases, still they need to verify whether u got ur F1 stats from USCIS b'se sometiems their files not updated with our new status. Hope u can sort out things asap. good luck

cheers
sam

sampath jayarathna
http://sampathsid.blogspot.com