SSN Card for Interview

Vishnu2003

Registered Users (C)
I have a old Social security card which says "Valid for Work Only with INS Authorization" . I applied this card a while ago when I was in H1B. After my GC i didn't apply for a new card. Can i take the same old card (Anyway my SSN will not change even if I apply) for citizenship Interview OR should I apply for a new card and present it if the IO asks for it.

Please advice

Thanks

I have a old Social security card which says "Valid for Work Only with INS Authorization" . I applied this card a while ago when I was in H1B. After my GC i didn't apply for a new card. Can i take the same old card (Anyway my SSN will not change even if I apply) for citizenship Interview OR should I apply for a new card and present it if the IO asks for it.

Typically, you will not be asked to show your SSN card. Usually, review of SSN card comes into picture only when there is some confusion over spelling of name or completeness of name, etc. Otherwise, SSN card has no relevance to the naturalization interview.

Regarding your case, just take your current card with you. However, if you want, you can get an updated SSN (with the constraint removed) by submitting an application with the social security office. It typically takes about 7 to 10 business days to get the card changed. But if I were you, I wouldn't sweat it at all.

I wouldn't worry about it. You can go to the social security office after you've become a USC and they will update your file and send you a new card.