SSN and driver's license

jian42

Registered Users (C)
Hi, All,

My case has been approved while my wife's AOS case is still pending. We live in Massachusetts.

She needs a SSN to get her driver's license. She does not have
an EAD right now.

We can go and get EAD first, but considering the time and cost involved, it would be easier if they could issue her a SSN without that.

So from your experience, is "applying for driver's license" a good reason for SSA office to issue her a Social security number?

Thanks.

In NJ it is possible to get a letter from the SS office which states why you cannot get a SSN. This letter is enough to get a driver license at the Motor Vehicle Dept in NJ

Originally posted by jian42
Hi, All,

My case has been approved while my wife's AOS case is still pending. We live in Massachusetts.

She needs a SSN to get her driver's license. She does not have
an EAD right now.

We can go and get EAD first, but considering the time and cost involved, it would be easier if they could issue her a SSN without that.

So from your experience, is "applying for driver's license" a good reason for SSA office to issue her a Social security number?

Thanks.

I used to live in Lowell too :)
A few years ago my wife was trying to get a driver's license too :)
And they told us at the DMV to go to SSA and get a letter stating that SSN can't be issued. We got that and they gave her driver's license after that (well, actually it was a learner's permit first, but you got the picture).

I must say that you can get a different answer from the DMV and SSA from time to time. Just like INS or any other gvmnt office.
You must be polite but keep asking until you get to talk to someone who knows what you need to do . . .

Of course, procedures change all the time so i wouldn't be surprised if the above is totally inacurate now.

I recently got No SSN for my wife from the local SSN office. Go to SSN office with passport and they will issue it in 5minutes. Use that form at RMV to get learner permit or license....

Thank you for the information, guys. You are right, the policies are changing from day to day, I better go and check.

another question: can I still go to the INS Boston field office and get her EAD in one day as before, or do I have to send the app to Vermont?

I am thinking if we can get her EAD in one day, then I would prefer to getting the card and SSN as "normal", rather than carrying a denial letter from SSA.

Yet, from the posting here, I see that it takes more than one month for Vermont to approve the EAD apps sent to them.

Boston Office has stopped issuing EAD and AP unless you have your I-485 application pending there (in Boston).
Hope this helps.

feb12rd, thanks. That's what I thought also.

My wife's RD is also in Feb, 2002. I do not remember the exact date, but its very close to the twelfth.

don't worry.. get SSN denial letter

Hi Jian42,

I did the same (got denial letter) when I applied for my wife's D/L here in CA.

Just go to the SSN office and state the DMV's requirement for a SSN #. They will give you a "SSN denial letter" after looking at your wife's passport. Its on the spot and simple. They don't care about your green card processing at all. In fact, the letter (here in CA) just states the name of the person who applied and thats all.

You can use that to get her license. Later, when you get her EAD go to the same office and show the passport and EAD, they will accept her application for SSN.

So, go ahead.

Cheers,

Venu123.