SSN after LPR (GC)

cpDelhi

Registered Users (C)
Q1: Does an individual in US already having a SSN need to notify anybody/any office after LPR (Lawful Permanent Resident) status has been granted?

Q2: Does an individual need to change the SSN card only or a new SSN number is granted after an individual gets the LPR status?

Q3: Some SSN card displays the following quote "Cannot work without INS authorization". I am sure the SSN card should not read this message after acquiring LPR status. What should be done to correct this?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by cpDelhi
Q1: Does an individual in US already having a SSN need to notify anybody/any office after LPR (Lawful Permanent Resident) status has been granted?

Q2: Does an individual need to change the SSN card only or a new SSN number is granted after an individual gets the LPR status?

Q3: Some SSN card displays the following quote "Cannot work without INS authorization". I am sure the SSN card should not read this message after acquiring LPR status. What should be done to correct this?

Thanks.

A1: YOU NEED TO APPLY FOR A NEW SS CARD. YOU WILL ALSO HAVE TO AMEND I-9 EMPLOYMENT ELIGIBILITY VERIFICATION FORM WITH YOUR EMPLOYER.

A2: YOUR SS NUMBER WILL NOT CHANGE, YOU WILL GET A NEW CARD WITHOUT ANY RESTRICTIONS ON IT.

A3: SEE ANSWER A2, YOUR NEW CARD WILL NOT HAVE THE PHRASE "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION"

nkm is right ....

with CP u have the option to ask for a totally new SSN number too .... but that is really upto u ....or else u still keep the old SSN and if u want (which I suggest) u get it changed to reflect the PR status ....

rest is as nkm said ....

Re: nkm is right ....

Originally posted by im9999
with CP u have the option to ask for a totally new SSN number too .... but that is really upto u ....or else u still keep the old SSN and if u want (which I suggest) u get it changed to reflect the PR status ....

rest is as nkm said ....

That is INCORRECT. You do not have an option for asking for a new SSN. You can only have ONE SS number. WHere did you get that information?

it is clearly stated on DS230 Part II ...

and people have got it done in the past ..Please check the form ...

P.S: I do not know if there has been a revision to the form but when I had my cp in July then it was clearly there and a few people applied for a new ssn ...

Re: it is clearly stated on DS230 Part II ...

Originally posted by im9999
and people have got it done in the past ..Please check the form ...

P.S: I do not know if there has been a revision to the form but when I had my cp in July then it was clearly there and a few people applied for a new ssn ...

Here is the relevant item on DS230 part 2:

Item 33a. Have you ever applied for a Social Security Number (SSN)? (Yes/No) If yes, give the number

Do you want the Social Security Administration to assign you an SSN (and issue a card) or issue you a new card (if you have an SSN)? You must answer "Yes" to this question and to the "Consent To Disclosure" in order to receive an SSN and/or card.

It clearly says that SSA will only issue you a new card if you have an SSN. Obviously the new card will not have a new number. If you do not have a SSN, you will get a number and a card.

Moreover, SSA does NOT issue SSN's solely based on filling out item 33 in DS-230 part2, even though the it seems so. New immigrants are supposed to fill out SS-5 and submit it to a SSA office. I went thru CP from Chennai in Oct and one of the items in the packet from Chennai was a letter advising immigrants to apply for SSN at the nearest SSA office.

what happens when u don't apply for a new card

Q1. What happens when an individual does not apply to get a new SSN card after getting the LPR status?

Q2. Does an indivdual have to get a new SSN or it's up to the individual, if he/she don't care to get a new one?

Q3. What are the implications of not getting a new/revised SSN card? Does it differ for family based immigration vs Employment based?

Thanks.

Re: what happens when u don't apply for a new card

Originally posted by cpDelhi
Q1. What happens when an individual does not apply to get a new SSN card after getting the LPR status?

Q2. Does an indivdual have to get a new SSN or it's up to the individual, if he/she don't care to get a new one?

Q3. What are the implications of not getting a new/revised SSN card? Does it differ for family based immigration vs Employment based?

Thanks.

A1. If the individual already has a SS card, it is not absolutely necessary to get a new card.
A2. If you do not have a number, you will have to get one, if you plan to file tax returns. If your dependents have a ITIN number, you will still need to get a SS number for them.
A3. If you get a SS card without restrictions, it will probably make life a little easier. SS database will then have you identified as a legal immigrant. It is no different for family based or employment based.

Hi

Can anyone please comment on the timeframe for getting SSN in below two cases.

What is the turn around time, when a new immigrant(GC holder) who comes to usa first time, applies for SSN? DOes it depend on the office, where you are applying. SHould a new immigrant first apply for a State ID first before applying for SSN?

Also, what is the time, that SSA office takes to update an already existing SSN to "immigrant SSN".

Thanks
Virginia Boy

Originally posted by Virginia Boy
Hi

Can anyone please comment on the timeframe for getting SSN in below two cases.

What is the turn around time, when a new immigrant(GC holder) who comes to usa first time, applies for SSN? DOes it depend on the office, where you are applying. SHould a new immigrant first apply for a State ID first before applying for SSN?

Also, what is the time, that SSA office takes to update an already existing SSN to "immigrant SSN".

Thanks
Virginia Boy

INS takes around 2-4 weeks after POE to update their database.
If the A# number is on the system, SSN will be issued in 7-10 days. Or else, SSN has to verify records from INS and they do it by sending a written request to INS which can take 3-8 weeks to process. This process is the same all over US.

To apply for a state ID, one needs a SSN (in most states).

Time for a new SSN or a updated SS card is the same.

Thanks nkm.

For a new GC holder, who is coming to usa for first time, is it fine if he/she lands here, so that they become LPR and immediately go back to their country, and then come after 4/5 months.

And then apply ssn, after they come back? will this be a problem for ssn issuing,as they would apply 4/5 months after they become LPR.

Thanks
Virginia Boy

Originally posted by Virginia Boy
Thanks nkm.

For a new GC holder, who is coming to usa for first time, is it fine if he/she lands here, so that they become LPR and immediately go back to their country, and then come after 4/5 months.

And then apply ssn, after they come back? will this be a problem for ssn issuing,as they would apply 4/5 months after they become LPR.

Thanks
Virginia Boy

That should not be a problem. There is no requirement that you should apply for SSN within a given time frame. However, make arrangements to receive the actual plastic card which should take 4-8 weeks after POE.
If you have a few days time (say 1 week) and have time to spare, it makes sense to go the SSA office and apply for SSN.

SSN card does not have restriction

SSN Gurus,

Could you tell me what if my SSN card does not have the restriction eventhough I am in work visa (first as H-1B and now O-1) now and have my CP next month?

What needs to be done then?

Thank you.

txniw.

Re: SSN card does not have restriction

Originally posted by txniw
SSN Gurus,

Could you tell me what if my SSN card does not have the restriction eventhough I am in work visa (first as H-1B and now O-1) now and have my CP next month?

What needs to be done then?

Thank you.

txniw.

You don't have to do anything before your CP interview but I think to be on the saf side you can to fill out a new SS card form, after you enter POE as an immigrant just to update SSA's database.

How did you get an unrestricted SS card? What was your visa status when you first applied for your SS card?

nkm-oct23,

I was in F-1 status. Well, I obtained my SSN about 12 years ago.
Thank you for your input.

txniw.