Ssc

hakigo

Registered Users (C)
i just received SSC though I-765. i have interview next month for GC.
my question is can i make a credit card with ssc? how about loaning a car?
on my card, VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION.
i just wondering..........

social security number

hi hakigo - i think you mean SSN - as in social security number.

when you apply for a credit card, car loan, bank loan, etc., they always ask to see your social security number because this is a number that credit bureaus use to track whether or not in the past you have been a good customer. they can check whether in the past you have paid your bills on time by entering your social security number into a computer that checks your "credit history" or "credit rating."

just having a social security number might not be enough to get a car loan, credit card, etc. - because even though you now have a SSN - they will type it into a computer, and the computer will show that it has no information about how loyal you have been in the past about paying your bills. Your number is brand new! Most Americans have had their SSN since their were born, and have a long credit history by the time they start applying for car loans and mortgages when they are in their 20s or 30s. This way, they know if you are a "bad" customer or a "good" customer.

since you will have no history when they plug in your number into the computer - they might not want to risk giving you a loan or anything else because you might not pay the money back.

these days, however, credit card companies seem very happy to give people credit quickly. you can probably get a credit card very easily, but they may start out by giving you a very small credit - like only 2,000 dollars or something.

For a car loan or bank loan, they will probably still negotiate with you even if you have no credit history if you give them proof of employment and salary.

hope that helps,

nora

thank you.

I am ok to use my ssn for applying credit card and loan even it said
"VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION"

I have had my bank account(debit card) for 6 years. when i creat my account, bank told me to use any number for ssn if i didnt have at that time.
would it be my credit history if i reapply my account with my new ssn?

Am I get a new ssn after GC or keep this ssn?

yes - you can use your social security number to apply for credit cards and loans, even if it says "valid for work only with DHS authorization."

you might want to go to your bank and see if they can change the number you had been using in place of the SSN to your new SSN. i'm not 100% sure, though, if that will help your credit history. i don't think credit history is tied to how much you have in the bank - it's tied more closely to your payment history on loans, utility bills, etc. still - your bank should have your correct SSN on file now that you have one.

yes - your social security will be the same for the rest of your life, and won't change when you get your green card.

nora