Spouse name endorsement on Passport

sana04

Dear All,

My organizaion is filing for my L1 application and my spouse's L2 application.

But before the apllication is submitted we both need to get each other's name endorsed on our respective passport. I am giving a brief background of what happened when I tried to do so:-

I got my husband's name endorsed on my passport in Dehradun that is the regional passport office for me as my PP was issued from there. There were no hassels and it was done the same day, I only had to pay fee for Rs 300.

So far so good. The nightmare started when we went to regional passport office for my husabnd in Ghaziabad, UP. There they are saying that they cannot endorse spouse's name on the old passport we would have to apply for a new booklet. The Passport Officer at ghaziabad passport office is saying that there is a new rule from central govt and they cannot endorse it on the old passport.I told him I got it done in Dehradun and if it is a new rule it should be applicable across India.He said it s not done here and the embassy which follow ICC norm( I could not find any details when I googled this) do not accept endorsement. He said you have got it done on your passport but you will not get visa. I checked Indian paspsort website it is clearly mentioned that this sevice is available.

My Questions to members:-

1. My husband name has been endorsed in writing on my Passport with the seal & signature of the authorized person. Is it acceptable or will I really face any problems during my L1 application/stamping.

2. Should I apply for a new passport to get my husband's name included in typing on the last page. If yes, then what happens to my valid B1 visa on my old passport.

2. Is it compulsory for both of us to get spouse's name endorsed or it is enough on my passport. If we have to, then we have no option but to apply for a new passport for him in Tatkal.

Please let me know from your personal experiences or professional exposure to a similar case.

Waiting for your responses.

Thank You

Sana

I don't think US consulate cares if your spouse's name is on your passport or not. However if you do get a new Indian passport with spouse's name on it, the old visa in the old passport will still be valid - you just have to carry both passports when you travel to/from US.
I speak from experience - when me and my my wife applied for H1/ H4, our names were not on each other's passports since we got the passports before we got married.