Spouse’s Name on passport for H4

prajoth22

Hi,

I would appreciate any insight on this.

I am on H1B and I am going to India on November 12th to get married and I hope to get my wife with me to the US through an H4 Visa.

I recently heard that as per some new rules the husbands name has to be present in the passport of the wife when applying for the H4 Visa. This is not the regular endorsement of the husband’s name that I am talking about. I hear that a new passport has to be created for the wife with the husbands name on it.

Is this true. I am concerned, as if it it true, it is going to take a while for a new passport to be created.

Thanks a lot.

Hi,
As per my knowledge is not compulsory,but adding ur name into ur wife's passport is easy process,it just takes a week time in India(at any passport office) and will issue the new passport.

Thanks thikka123 for the response.

But I am wondering if anyone is aware of any change in rules regarding spouses name in the passport for H4 Visa in the last 6 months or so.

Because I know by going through these forums that a lot of people have been able to get H4 Visas without making any change in their passports after the marriage - and I want to keep things as simple as possible.