• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Sponsor's Document Clarification !!!

LANCER01

Registered Users (C)
Dear,
I will face my interview in October. I ask my US sponsor to file me
the documents that listed below:

Do the following items enough for Sponsor's Documents ?

Sponsor Documents

1. Affidavit of Support (Form I-134)
2. Income Tax Return for Last 3 Years
3. Business License or W2
4. Bank Statement
5. Employment Letter (To Whom It Mays Concern)
6. Certificate of Naturalization or US Passport or Green Card Copy

if you are single, then you dont need any sponsors document.but he can still make it available. I had all that except number 6 which is not part of the requirement.and i was not asked about sponsors document

Do you know how long does it take for them to make sponsor documents ready for me ?

Thank La Chic,

I would like to make sure that I'll have enough sponsor documents.
My case is 2009AS00009**. I will have my interview on the 1st October.
I suppose to send my sponsor these items today.

I worry that I can't get it on time.
Do you know how long does it take for them to make sponsor documents ready for me ?

clarifications

Thank La Chic,

I would like to make sure that I'll have enough sponsor documents.
My case is 2009AS00009**. I will have my interview on the 1st October.
I suppose to send my sponsor these items today.

I worry that I can't get it on time.

hi all,

do ones sponsor need to do more than filling the affidavit of support?
thought the affidavit is all inclusive of needed information about the sponsor.
do one need additional documents, for example the sponsors bank statement and tax return. please clarify.

Do we really need other supporting documents beside I-134 Form ?
Could anybody clarify these ?

I think 6 items mentioned above are over needed.:confused:

I-134 and its supporting documents

If your Sponsor ask you to list the documents that he/she need to do,
I think 1, 2, 4, 5 are needed (3, 6 are not required).

1. Affidavit of Support (Form I-134) - Yes
2. Income Tax Return for Last 3 Years - Yes
3. Business License or W2 - Not required
4. Bank Statement - Yes
5. Employment Letter (To Whom It Mays Concern) - Yes
6. Certificate of Naturalization or US Passport or Green Card Copy - Not required

Thank Mahema for contribution.

Could anyone suggest me about Mahema's Idea?
Is it true that we don't need item number 3, 6 (are not required) ?

Dear,
I will face my interview in October. I ask my US sponsor to file me
the documents that listed below:

Do the following items enough for Sponsor's Documents ?

Sponsor Documents

1. Affidavit of Support (Form I-134)
2. Income Tax Return for Last 3 Years
3. Business License or W2
4. Bank Statement
5. Employment Letter (To Whom It Mays Concern)
6. Certificate of Naturalization or US Passport or Green Card Copy

My sponsor is not self-employed. Shell he has to provide no 2. Income Tax Return for Last 3 Years. But in I-134 form it says if self-emplyed... Plese clarify this.

C. If self-employed:
1. Copy of last income tax return filed; or
2. Report of commercial rating concern.

I've just received my 2nd package today. The interview date is the same as in the email that KCC reply to me.

My Sponsor is not self-employed. He has US citizen. He works in private company.Maybe I decide to request the 6 items above from him.

You know I don't want him to do more item that unnecessary or not required.
Could someone make me clear about these? This time he works for my interest,so I want him to do a few thing or item as I can.

If the sponsor is self employed:
1. Affidavit of Support (Form I-134) (Required)
2. Income Tax Return from last year (Required)
3. Certificate of Naturalization or US Passport or Green Card Copy (Recommended)
4. Bank Statement (Optional)
5. Business License (Optional)
6. W2 (Optional, W2 is used to get tax return from the gov. A tax return report from the IRS should be enough because it contains the same information)

If the sponsor is employed by a company:
2. Employment Letter (Required. It should contain the nature of the job, salary, and the position in the company. This should be written by the company itself)
3. Income Tax Return from last years (Recommended)
4. Certificate of Naturalization or US Passport or Green Card Copy (Recommended)
5. Bank Statement (Optional)
6. W2 (Optional, W2 is used to get tax return from the gov. A tax return report from the IRS should be enough because it contains the same information)

Required: You MUST have it with you for the interview
Recommended: It is better to bring it for the interview but it is not an official requirements.
Optional: Not necessary to bring it with you for the interview. Bring this if only you have the time and don't mind asking your sponsor or your sponsor don't mind giving it to you.

The official requirements are in the I-134 form itself. It says the required supporting documents. http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-134.pdf
It basically give you the option to choose either one OR any combination OR all of them:
A: This is if your sponsor is either employed or self-employed or unemployed (unemployed could be someone who is already retired). Required:Bank Statement
B: This is if your sponsor is employed by someone or by a company. Required: Statement of Employer
C: This is if yous sponsor is self-employed or own his/her own business. Requried:tax return
D: This is if your sponsor is either employed or self-employed or unemployed (unemployed could be someone who is already retired). Required: Bonds

Last edited by a moderator:
Great GERINDO !!!

A Wonderful Help Ever !!!
Thank you very much, Gerindo.

I am very proud of you, Gerindo. You give me a meaningful answer.
I am very happy today. I was stuck in these issues. Now they are gone away.

And many thanks to others also, but the man of the day is Gerindo.
I am in a group of first winner that face interview on October.
I will follow the way that Gerindo does. The way that he help me today.
I will post my detail interview in the near future.
Please wait and see ..........

You see the likes of gerindos, Lucymos, and many others are here to help God's people freely. When you do a good thing to your fellow human beings you will be sure be blessed unbelievably.

You're welcome. I'm glad I can help. :eek:

Just adding from what I wrote. As far as the employment letter, even though it is required when your sponsor is employed by someone/company, you might be able to get away not having it by just showing the sponsor's last income tax return. But, to be save, I recommend to have the employment letter.

Even if the official instruction say that if your sponsor is employed by someone/company, you can just show the employment letter, I don't recommend you just showing the employment letter without additional documents like the last income tax return report or bank statement.

The point is: Tax return report is the best supporting documents for the I-134 regardless if your sponsor is employed or not. Once you have the tax return report, the rest (bank statement or/and employment letter) are optional that will only helping the Consular to make the decision.

You're welcome. I'm glad I can help. :eek:

Just adding from what I wrote. As far as the employment letter, even though it is required when your sponsor is employed by someone/company, you might be able to get away not having it by just showing the sponsor's last income tax return. But, to be save, I recommend to have the employment letter.

Even if the official instruction say that if your sponsor is employed by someone/company, you can just show the employment letter, I don't recommend you just showing the employment letter without additional documents like the last income tax return report or bank statement.

The point is: Tax return report is the best supporting documents for the I-134 regardless if your sponsor is employed or not. Once you have the tax return report, the rest (bank statement or/and employment letter) are optional that will only helping the Consular to make the decision.

In lieu of the employment letter, I believe pay stubs accompanying the tax returns and/or W-2 will serve as enough evidence to the sponsor's employment history and earning potential

About tex return

If the sponsor is self employed:
2. Income Tax Return from last year (Required)
3. Certificate of Naturalization or US Passport or Green Card Copy (Recommended)
4. Bank Statement (Optional)
5. Business License (Optional)

If the sponsor is employed by a company:
2. Employment Letter (Required. It should contain the nature of the job, salary, and the position in the company. This should be written by the company itself)
3. Income Tax Return from last years (Recommended)
4. Certificate of Naturalization or US Passport or Green Card Copy (Recommended)
5. Bank Statement (Optional)

Required: You MUST have it with you for the interview
Recommended: It is better to bring it for the interview but it is not an official requirements.
Optional: Not necessary to bring it with you for the interview. Bring this if only you have the time and don't mind asking your sponsor or your sponsor don't mind giving it to you.

The official requirements are in the I-134 form itself. It says the required supporting documents. http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-134.pdf
It basically give you the option to choose either one OR any combination OR all of them:
A: This is if your sponsor is either employed or self-employed or unemployed (unemployed could be someone who is already retired). Required:Bank Statement
B: This is if your sponsor is employed by someone or by a company. Required: Statement of Employer
C: This is if yous sponsor is self-employed or own his/her own business. Requried:tax return
D: This is if your sponsor is either employed or self-employed or unemployed (unemployed could be someone who is already retired). Required: Bonds

Thank you very much for the reply.
Is it ok if I bring fax copy of no 3. "Income Tax Return from last years "
and no 4 "Certificate of Naturalization or US Passport or Green Card Copy "

Thank you very much for the reply.
Is it ok if I bring fax copy of no 3. "Income Tax Return from last years "
and no 4 "Certificate of Naturalization or US Passport or Green Card Copy "

Should be OK. The only original document that you need is the I-134, the rest can be a photocopy or a fax-copy.

I don't think it is a good idea to take your sponsor's original U.S passport or green card to the interview since those documents doesn't belong to you. :rolleyes:

Don't forget to get the I-134 signed by the sponsor and notarized by a licensed public notary.

Should be OK. The only original document that you need is the I-134, the rest can be a photocopy or a fax-copy.

I don't think it is a good idea to take your sponsor's original U.S passport or green card to the interview since those documents doesn't belong to you. :rolleyes:

Don't forget to get the I-134 signed by the sponsor and notarized by a licensed public notary.

Thank you for the reply

Please answer both questions

1) I am the Principal applicant. My wife and daughter are also included with me.
If you look the instructions of I-134 form, it says,
I. Execution of Affidavit.
A separate affidavit must be submitted for each person.
So, my question is one form is enough for three of us or we need separate form for each?

2) Also I am requesting to explain about Item 11 of I-134 form.
11. That I (box) intend, (box) do not intend to make specific contributions to the support of the person(s) named in item 3.
(If you check "intend," indicate the exact nature and duration of the contributions. For example, if you intend to furnishroom and board, state for how long and, if money, state the amount in U.S. dollars and state whether it is to be given in a lumpsum, weekly or monthly, or for how long.
Which one should be checked and what my sponsor need to write there?
Thanks

Please answer my questions above.
Your support and cooperation will be appreciated.
Thanks

Pratik80,

I guess it all depends what your sponsor is willing to do for you and your family. He/she can check the box that he intend to: "Provide the applicant and his family with room and board until the applicant finds employment. I anticipate serving in this capacity for about six (6) months in duration"

As for if you need individual support document for each member, if you read the instructions literally then yes. But at the same time if you read section 3 of the application, it states that the application is for the primary applicant inclusive of his/her spouse and children. Yes this can be confusing, therefore my advise is to let your sponsor, if willing, fill individual application for each one of you. For the interview just provide them with the primary applicant and keep the others ones on yourself, until they at least ask for it. That is if they ask for it.