Sponsoring wife living overseas

Victor and Liz

Good day everyone,

I am a US citizen and my wife is living overseas . My newborn baby received the citizenship automatically. However, my wife does not have even a visa.

1. Would you please advise what forms should I file in order a green card for my wife ( or visa first).
2. Can I file being outside of USA?
3. How long usually it takes?
4. Should I hire an immigrant attorney or I can do it myself ( how complicated the process is ?)

Any advises or opinion are appreciated .

Thank you.

Victor

1. Start by filing I-130 (which will also require I-130A, proof of your citizenship, your marriage certificate, and various proof of bona fide marriage). More stuff will be requested later in the process.
2. yes
3. It takes a couple months to approve the I-130, then it goes to NVC and the consulate for Consular Processing, which takes another couple months.
4. You can do it yourself

Thank you for your reply.

1.Would you please , advise where Do I file I-130 and I-130A ... embassy or us immigration office ?
2.Do I need to file anything else but those 2 forms?

Thank you.

Thank you for your reply.

1.Would you please , advise where Do I file I-130 and I-130A ... embassy or us immigration office ?
2.Do I need to file anything else but those 2 forms?

Thank you.
Normally, you file it with USCIS in the US, to the Chicago Lockbox if you are filing from abroad, as detailed on this page.

However, if you, the petitioner, have been living abroad long-term in the foreign country, and it happens to be a country with a USCIS international office, then you can file I-130 directly with the USCIS international office (see the particular office's page for details), which will make the process faster.

Great, Thank you for super fast reply.

my country does not have an international office, thus I will be filing to the Chicago Lockbox.

I guess, I need to send them filled I-130 and I-130A via Fedex /UPS to Chicago, right?
any other form do I need to add besides those two?

Thank you Newacct.

Do you live overseas?
If living in the US, the entire process from application submission in the US to interview at the consulate abroad takes about 12-14 months start to finish. Beneficiary's country is also important to help determine the length of any AP.

I do live overseas, however I visit USA often
12-14 month only to get an immigrant visa?????
my country is Poland.. any comments on the timing?

If you’re currently living overseas and resident in your wife’s country, check if the local embassy offers direct consular filing which is quicker than via the US.

Bear in mind that as part of the process you will need to show US domicile so if currently living abroad you will have to prove that by the time of the interview you either have re-established, or will re-establish, domicile in the US. Plus being able to show income levels for sponsorship, that you have been filing tax returns with the IRS, etc.

Also it’s not clear from your original post but presumably you plan to move back to the US?

my wife's country is Poland and it Does Not have an Immigration office up there, on the Embassy and Consulate.

I do live overseas for now, however I want to go back. How would I prove that I will reestablish domicile in the US?

Midway through the approx one-year process, you would have to document that you plan to move\live\work in the US, and that you can financially support your wife once in the US.

I do live overseas, however I visit USA often
12-14 month only to get an immigrant visa?????
my country is Poland.. any comments on the timing?
Living overseas and visiting the US isn't enough, unfortunately, for your wife to get an immigrant visa. You have to establish US domicile.

1. Would you please confirm that I am sending only I-130 and I -130A forms to Chicago Office? or I am missing any more forms?
2. How would I know when I will be invited for the interview to the Embassy?

thank you,

Would anybody advise that only 2 forms (I-130 and I-130A) need to be file before getting the notice from consulate for an interview .

Thank you.