Sponsoring parents for a GC

indianh1b

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Does anyone know how long it takes for parents of an US citizen to obtain permanent residency?

Since parents are classified as Immediate Relatives, they're not required to wait for an immigrant visa number after their I-130 petition is approved. They could directly adjust status while they're already here. I was wondering how long it is taking for I-130 and the adjust of status for parents of Indian origin or generally for their entire process.

Thanks,
indianh1b

They can apply for I-130 along with I-485. My wife recently applied for her mother through san francisco district office and she got the green card stamped within 4 months.

Thanks for the info.

Does it help the process if the parents are already in the US? I suppose it'll be harded for them to visit the US once the green card process is started because that'll indicate to the immigration officer at the port of entry that they have immigrant intent on a visit visa.

indianhb,
I replied to your question in the employment forum too..

First of all you should read the FAQ' on bringing your Parents to US for US Citizen's carefully on USCIS web site.

It mentions clearly that if the parents are in US legally, Then you can file I-130 and I485 together (along with EAD and Advance Parole too)... The advantage with this is that once the papers are accepted they are immediately in "adjustment of Status" category and they dont need to maintain the visitor visa anymore and can stay in USA till the GC is approved. They can travel outside US on Advance Parole only...

Otherwise if the Parents are abroad, then you need to File I-130 for them here and wait for its approval and them they can apply for an immigrant visa at the consulate...

goodluck

Some similar questions....

My friend who is an U.S. citizen recently applied for I-130 for his parent. However he did not file I-485 concurrently.
1. Would this cause a problem?
2. Can he file I-485 at the local center with the I-130 receipt now or should he wait for the I-130 approval to come before doing that?
3. Also should he renew the I-94 on the parent's passport (on visitor visa)
or because the I-130 is pending it does not matter?

Hope someone can answer the questions. Thanks in advance

GC for parents

Hello All
My brother who is a US citizen filed for I-130 for my parents who are in India. He filed separate I-130 for my mother and father. My mother's I-130 just got approved. INS has sent my brother the approval notice asking that if the person is overseas then I-824 should be filled and sent to INS so that they can process to send the file to the overseas consulate. I would like to find out what is the procedure following this -
1. I believe a CHoice of Agent form has to be filled out first - DS-3032? alongm with affidavit of support from Sponsor (I-864). When is all this done. and what is the next seq if steps.
2. Typically how long does this process take to get interview at consulate
3. Now q is that can my mother file my father as a benificiary in her application or we should wait for separate approval for my father's I-130 so both of them will go independently.

i am new to this forum and trying to search for these answers.

thanks in advance for the help
rajiv

chakroo said:
Hello All
My brother who is a US citizen filed for I-130 for my parents who are in India. He filed separate I-130 for my mother and father. My mother's I-130 just got approved. INS has sent my brother the approval notice asking that if the person is overseas then I-824 should be filled and sent to INS so that they can process to send the file to the overseas consulate. I would like to find out what is the procedure following this -
1. I believe a CHoice of Agent form has to be filled out first - DS-3032? alongm with affidavit of support from Sponsor (I-864). When is all this done. and what is the next seq if steps.

They will send you an application fee request ($335) for each applicant (I'd assume you had paid them the I-864 fee bill for $65?) Then, they will send you form DS-230 that your parents need to sign and either you or them need to send back to Portsmouth, NH.

2. Typically how long does this process take to get interview at consulate

I've just received the DS-230 forms. I applied for my parents in Nov 2003. I will need to have these forms signed by my parents and send them back. The letter that came with it says that typically the consulate will send the beneficiaries an appointment letter about a month before the interview.

3. Now q is that can my mother file my father as a benificiary in her application or we should wait for separate approval for my father's I-130 so both of them will go independently.

I'm not sure about this, but I would think applying your father as a beneficiary would take even longer. My mother and father's case numbers are very close. I did send their applications in one envelope, but separate folders.

i am new to this forum and trying to search for these answers.

thanks in advance for the help
rajiv

I-485 for my mother

There is a question on the I-485 that says: I am applying for an adjustment for permanent resident status because: ...... I have checked (h) Other basis of eligibilty. (Explain). For the explanation, I've written (on behalf of my mother) I am a parent of a U.S citizen. Will explanation suffice? I've also added that I am old and widowed. Waiting in long lines for a visa is tough. Green card will give me the flexibility to travel. Please advise.

Thanks,
Rappu

The wait begins....

I submitted all forms, I-130, I-485, I-864 (affidavit of support) and G-325 forms for my mother and I, alongwith 2 passprt size pics. & a fee of $570. I sent it via certified mail, with return request. The postman told me that INS would receive it today. I filed it locally. I actually went to the INS office in Cincinnati & I was told by the INS officer that they don't accept the forms personally. It HAS to be sent via mail.... So, I ended up going to the P.O. So, my wait has begun for my mother's green card..... I was told by the officer that it takes a year!