sponsoring parent\'s GC

Filing for parents

Hi,

I filed for my parents for their greencards and they got it in 6 months. Its a simple procedure and you have to file the papers available from the INS website. Just check the ins web site for the papers needed to be filed for family based immigration.

P.S. They got their interview in 6 months after I filed.

No Title

Niral,

When did you file and where ? I have filed for my parents in June 2001 in Denver & still no luck. Did your parents get the Finger print notices first or did they do FP and interview on same day ? HELP !!!

No Title

Hi Niral,
         Did you apply when your parents were present in US or in their native country. Do you have any input on which option is best.

Thanks,

No Title

I am a US citizen and I wish to bring my parents to US on immigrant visa. They are both over 70 years old and they do not have a marriage certificate and my birth certificate only lists my father. I understand that I have to get two family members or family friends to certify that indeed my parents are married to each other and that I am their son.

Can you please send me a rough text of what should be the content of that affidavit? Also does it matter if the family friend was not present at the wedding? It will be impossible to find anyone that old who was present at the wedding.

Question on sponsoring parents

If we sponsor Green cards for our parents will the brother/sister also automatically get GC as dependent of parents? Is there any age limit after which they will not be eligible as dependents of parents to get the green cards?
Thanks for all your responses.
cpgc

No. There are not derivitive beneficiaries for immediate relatives!

Even if the child is an infant, the child is NOT eligible for a GC with the parents who obtain GCs as immediate relatives of a U.S. Citizen.

The child would need a separate petition either as the brother/sister of a US Citizen (a long wait) or as the child of a US GC holder once the parents are issued GCs.

This is a very common misconception, even among some attorneys.

Jim

James D. Mills
(formerly Jim M)
Attorney at Law
jdmills@justice.com
732-644-5702

Eligibility for naturalization

My parents are green card holders since 9/98.They went to India for a 7 month period in 1999, then for a 11 month period in 2001.Is there continuous residence in the US for naturalization purpose interrupted.Also when do they become eligible to file for citizenship.
Maninder