Sponsoring GC to parents

RaviDK

Registered Users (C)
All:

I am new to this forum. I will be a US citizen by the end of this month and would like to get my parents (From Bangalore, India) to live in the U.S. Can someone help me the entire procedure briefly? Can I apply both I-130 and I-485 at the same time? Are there any good sites which can help me to understand the formal process. I am little confused by reading some of the mails here.

Any idea on how long will take to go thro' the process? Also, I would like to hear from someone who is going through this.

Thanks in advance.
-Ravi

RaviDK,
This Question has been asked so many times by new members. I guess the moderators should put the answer under FAQ..

It is pretty straight forward... Once you are a US Citizen, you can sponsor your immediate relatives (spouse,parents and children under 21) and dont have to wait for a visa number..

IF the relative is already in US legally ie on a visitor visa etc, then you can file I-130 and I485 simultaneously.. This is very clearly explained on I-485 form.. Once the forms are filled and accepted then the applicant is in "Adjustment PEriod" status ie they can continue their stay in US till the application gets approved...

If they are out of US, then the I-130 needs to filled at the Service center first.. Vermont is approving I-130 in 2 months now.. After that You can request them to come to US on a K visa and then file 485 here...

goodluck...