Sponsoring (disabled) parent

darthvader

Registered Users (C)
Hi:

I'll eligible to apply for citizenship in about 1 year. I wish to sponsor my parents for GC after getting my citizenship.

At that point, my mother will be in her late 60s and my father mid-70s. My mother's health is in decent shape. My father is partially immobilized due to a stroke. He also has a (benign) tumor in his stomach. Would my father's health problems pose an obstacle to his application?

Thanks for any advice.:)

Your fathers health conditions are no problems for GC but you will face huge medical bills for any treatment in the US and it will be impossible to get any kind of medical insurance coverage for his conditions.

What nkm-oct23 said, pretty much. Unless you are rich, your father is not going to get treatment in the USA. The only possibility option he does not mention--unless a comprehensive health-care package that covers recent elderly immigrants is passed, don't hold your breath--would be for your late-60s mother, with employment authorization, to take a job with group coverage benefits for your father, probably full-time, and wait out the pre-existing conditions period. Odds of her being able to do that are very low, but I can think of no other way.