• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

sponsor needed even if you won DV lottery ?

SEVENOUT

Does it sound correct?Do you really need a sponsor when you first enter the country after winning the DV lottery?

Thx:confused:

No, if you win the lottery, you have to go to the US embassy in your country or the INS here and they will process a green card for you. It's really like winning the lottery, you get the green card with no link attached to employer, spouse, etc.
If you won, you'll be the first person I know and you are a very very lucky person.

Kyo:)

You need a sponsor no matter what either a job offer or someone who can look after you for the first few months and they may need an affidavit of support for the second option.

???

Are you sure? Because what is the difference with getting the green card through employment? On the DV lottery web site, they say that you just have to go to the embassy in your country or to the BCIS in the States to get an adjustment of status. They never said anything about needing a sponsor.
Kyo

dv lottery has stages you don't need a sponsor to apply but there is no way you can come to this country if INS does not no how you are going to maintain yourself. trust me you need a job offer or a sponsor and I have a friend who won dv 2004 he already went for the interview and they now told him to go back with an affidavit of support from the sponsor and his bank statement.

I think they only ask to document an affidavit (I-134 only) if you do not have enough financial support on your own. Or if they suspect that you might not get easily a job (because of insufficient English skills or just minumum required education = just high school degree, or a very specific profession with very narrow opportunities). It can't hurt if you have one prepared just in case.

Even though you win the DV lottery it does not mean you show up and get free green card. You must still qualify. You will need a sponsor.