Sponsor my Mother....Can Someone tell me about it?

pprcp

Registered Users (C)
I'm a permanent resident, me and my husband we would like to sponsor my Mom. This is a sponsor not petition. I did some research and it seems that I can sponsor my Mom but I just want to hear others experience and give me a hint. Thanks in advance of all your responsed.

My questions are: Can I sponsor my Mother to come to USA? Can you please give an idea?

pprcp said:
I'm a permanent resident, me and my husband we would like to sponsor my Mom. This is a sponsor not petition. I did some research and it seems that I can sponsor my Mom but I just want to hear others experience and give me a hint. Thanks in advance of all your responsed.

My questions are: Can I sponsor my Mother to come to USA? Can you please give an idea?

sponsoring your mother to come to US for visiting purpose?

If your mom wants to come to US for visiting purpose, she can apply for a vistor visa.

My husband would like to Sponsor my Mom to come and and live in the USA with us. I'm a LFR but only my husband is going to sponsor my Mom not me.

Based on my understanding that my Husband can Sponsor and support her(my mom) until she become a US Citizen. I'm confused please help me.

Is that possible for my husband to sponsor my Mom?

pprcp said:
My husband would like to Sponsor my Mom to come and and live in the USA with us. I'm a LFR but only my husband is going to sponsor my Mom not me.

Based on my understanding that my Husband can Sponsor and support her(my mom) until she become a US Citizen. I'm confused please help me.

I do not know if a US Citizen can sponsor his in-law coming to US thou.

YOu might want to check out www.uscis.gov, I-130 section and see if he is eligible to file the petition.

I was confused about your original post mentioned "it is a sponsor, not petition".

In order to sponsor a relative / someone coming to US, you have to file a petition I130 (of course, there is I-129F, but it does not apply to your sitation).

Anyhow, if your husband can file the petition and sponsor your mom coming to US, that is great. Otherwise, you will just have to wait until you become a US Citizen.

pprcp said:

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/services/residency/family.htm#anchor156900

Your husband (assuming he is a USC) cannot sponsor your mother's GC. You can do that after you become a USC. You can of-course sponsor for her visitor visa now.

sorry for all the confusing questions of mine. I guess I just have to wait until I become USC. but hopefully there's away I can get my Mom. My husband is US Citizen born in the US and he wants to get my Mom. But will try to go in the local INS to see if there's an options.

Who is Required to Be a Sponsor?
If you filed an immigrant visa petition for your relative, you must be the sponsor. You must also be at least 18 years old and a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident. You must have a domicile in the United States or a territory or possession of the United States. Usually, this requirement means you must actually live in the United States, or a territory or possession, in order to be a sponsor. If you live abroad, you may still be eligible to be a sponsor if you can show that your residence abroad is temporary, so that you still have your domicile in the United States.

Can anyone else be a sponsor?
INA section 213A permits both a "joint sponsor" and a "substitute sponsor" in certain cases.

Who can be a joint sponsor, and when is a joint sponsor allowed?
If the visa petitioner's household income is not sufficient to meet the requirements of INA section 213A and 8 C.F.R. § 213a, INA section 213A permits a joint sponsor to sign an affidavit of support, in addition to the affidavit of support signed by the visa petitioner. A joint sponsor is someone who is willing to accept legal responsibility for supporting your family member with you. A joint sponsor must meet all the same requirements as you, except the joint sponsor does not need to be related to the immigrant. The joint sponsor (or the joint sponsor and his or her household) must reach the 125 percent income requirement alone. You cannot combine your income with that of a joint sponsor to meet the income requirement.

Based what it says above that I can sponsor my Mom but I'm still confused though.

pprcp

You can sponor your mom now, or in the future. If your income does not meet the 125% guideline, you can have a co-sponsor.

We have been telling you to wait for you to get your US Citizenship is because if you file the petition to get your mom a GC, she would have to wait for LONG LONG LONG years. It is because you are a green card holder.

However, once you have your US Citizenship, you can get your mom a GC within a very reasonable time frame.

it is up to you if you want to file the pettion now or not.

if you file now based on your GC status, your mom will wait at least 5 yrs or so (i do not know the exact time, but I do know it is going to be VERY LONG). If you wait till you get your US citizenship, you can file the petition and get your mom a gc within a year or so.

it is your choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
ocworker said:
pprcp

You can sponor your mom now, or in the future. If your income does not meet the 125% guideline, you can have a co-sponsor.

We have been telling you to wait for you to get your US Citizenship is because if you file the petition to get your mom a GC, she would have to wait for LONG LONG LONG years. It is because you are a green card holder.

However, once you have your US Citizenship, you can get your mom a GC within a very reasonable time frame.

it is up to you if you want to file the pettion now or not.

if you file now based on your GC status, your mom will wait at least 5 yrs or so (i do not know the exact time, but I do know it is going to be VERY LONG). If you wait till you get your US citizenship, you can file the petition and get your mom a gc within a year or so.

it is your choice.

thanks for your response. to become a US Citizen They said if your a wife or husband of a US Citizen from the date you become a LPR you only have to wait 3 years and 90 days and if not 5 years or so.

If I'm going to sponsor my Mom maybe she can get a Unconditional Lawful Permanent Resident card or Permanent resident Card but its takes longer for her to become a US Citizen. Correctr me if I'm wrong.

Thanks once again. Please give me more opinions.

pprcp said:
thanks for your response. to become a US Citizen They said if your a wife or husband of a US Citizen from the date you become a LPR you only have to wait 3 years and 90 days and if not 5 years or so.

If I'm going to sponsor my Mom maybe she can get a Unconditional Lawful Permanent Resident card or Permanent resident Card but its takes longer for her to become a US Citizen. Correctr me if I'm wrong.

Thanks once again. Please give me more opinions.

You will be eligible for filling US Citizenship application if you
1) have green card status for at least 3 years
AND
2) have been married and lived with the same US Citizen for at least 3 yrs

Once you get your US citizenship, you can file the petition to sponor your mother immigrate to US.

Once your mom gets the green card, it is on her own to fulfill requirements before she can apply for the US citizenship. it has nothing to do with you.

ocworker said:
You will be eligible for filling US Citizenship application if you
1) have green card status for at least 3 years
AND
2) have been married and lived with the same US Citizen for at least 3 yrs

Once you get your US citizenship, you can file the petition to sponor your mother immigrate to US.

Once your mom gets the green card, it is on her own to fulfill requirements before she can apply for the US citizenship. it has nothing to do with you.

Yeah, you right. If I'm going to sponsor my Mom. My questions are: Can she work in the US? Can she stay and live her? What type of visa she will have?

Thanks

pprcp said:
Yeah, you right. If I'm going to sponsor my Mom. My questions are: Can she work in the US? Can she stay and live her? What type of visa she will have?

Thanks

If you are going to sponsor your mom on what kind of visa? visitor visa or immigrant visa?

Last edited by a moderator:
pprcp said:
thanks.

Immigrant visa.

As i mentioned to you before

you can file a petition to sponsor you mom on an immigrant visa

1a) either you can file the petition now, wait for few yrs until your mom's PD become current.
1b) Once you get your US citizenship, file the petition to sponsor your mom

Once your mom's immigrant visa is approved, and once she enters to US, she is a lawful PR. she has no different than another legal PR in United Status. She can work and live in US.

However, it is just a matter how long would it take to get your mother's immigrant visa

I would like to process now and don't wait for me to become a US CItizen.

Me and my husband is going to our local INS and ask some questions.

Thanks once again. I really appreciate all your respond.

Sorry for the confusioned.

good luck. from other ppl posted, and from my understanding, you are the only person who can file the I-130 petition behalf on your mom for the immigrant visa purpose.

ocworker said:
good luck. from other ppl posted, and from my understanding, you are the only person who can file the I-130 petition behalf on your mom for the immigrant visa purpose.

Yeah, you right. thats what I thought also. Thanks once again.

A person cannont petition for parents when he/she is PR (not even if his/her spouse is USC). A PR can only file petition for spouse and children, but not parents.

The only option is to wait until you become USC and petition for your mom after that.

Your spouse can join you to sponsor her financially, but that is after you are eligible to file the petition for your mom (after you become USC).

USCIS's website has clear instruction, maybe going through their webpage will help me understand this better.