Speeding tickets: Gurus advise!

desi111

Registered Users (C)
I know some of you may have to deal with same issue while filling out the N-400 in answering question about speeding.

Should the answer to question about conviction and charging for speeding be entered as YES.

Any advice is appreciated!

Answer YES, enclose sufficient evidence. However on a seperate 3M sticky write that you were never arrested (if you were not that is!!) and just detained for a Traffic violation ...... My lawyers advice to me..:cool:

Does anyone here know, if there is a place that I can get a copy of all my driving records from, no matter how long ago, and also from different states, since I have lived in several states? I am looking for a sort of a certified document (transcript), so I can show it to the interviewer as a firm document.

Any info is appreciated...
Thanks in advance,

Your State DMV can give you a copy of your driver record. I believe that when you do a check on Driving history, you get
a list consisting of violations u made in all states. Thats what insurance companies do..

DMV/RMV may only keep records for a limited time. Check with the local traffic courts in the county where you received the citation. They should have a copy of the ticket and receipt.

Thanks for your responses. I found the corresponding website for Wisconsin. I got a ticket ("traffic light violation") after I filed my N-400. I also got and paid a ticket ("collision") 10 years ago. I just want to make sure traffic tickets don't bring up any issues.

Do you think getting a ticket, pleading "no contest" and paying for it could be any issue for N-400? I can always go to court and fight it.

Thanks for sharing ideas,

Traffic tickets are no big deal (except DUI). Pay them on time, get proof of payment and offence and list them on N400. You will be fine. Dont worry about other things. If you get a ticket (regardlesss if u contested/won/loss/paid) you MUST list it on N400 as it constitutes to u being detained by an officer

Originally posted by eric711
Thanks for your responses. I found the corresponding website for Wisconsin. I got a ticket ("traffic light violation") after I filed my N-400. I also got and paid a ticket ("collision") 10 years ago. I just want to make sure traffic tickets don't bring up any issues.

Do you think getting a ticket, pleading "no contest" and paying for it could be any issue for N-400? I can always go to court and fight it.

Thanks for sharing ideas,

Hey Eric
Whatever happened to Interview for you in Milwaukee? Any progress? I sent an email to your account and did not receive any reply.

For the traffic tickets, only last 5 years matter I think. But to be on the safe side, I got letters from each agency I was cited (TN, Alabama, DC). They were only speeding tickets 7 years ago. I just plan to put them in the N400 application with details on separate paper. NO DUI of course.

Keep in touch.

Hi WouldBeCitizen,

I just noticed the email you had sent me. I am surprised it did not notify me that I had an email.

Anyways, Yes, I do have a good news. On Dec 4th my Status disappeared. On Dec 8th, I got my interview notice. It's scheduled for January 26.

Now I am trying to get all necessary docs together. Driving records, Tax returns, etc.

I have a question for you. Did you get your driving records from different states' DMVs ? 'cause there are private companies that get all your driving records from all 50 states and compile them in one report for a fee. What do you think about that? do you think it is as certified as getting them from DMV?

Anyways, my lawyer says, driving records are not relevant at all as long as it's not DUI.

Hi WouldBeCitizen,

Now I am trying to get all necessary docs together. Driving records, Tax returns, etc.

I have a question for you. Did you get your driving records from different states' DMVs ? 'cause there are private companies that get all your driving records from all 50 states and compile them in one report for a fee. What do you think about that? do you think it is as certified as getting them from DMV?

Anyways, my lawyer says, driving records are not relevant at all as long as it's not DUI.

Yes I got driving records from all states I lived in- just to be sure and be on the safe side. I lived in TN and got a ticket there - failure to stop at sign, and on my first road trip, speeding ticket in alabama (going 72 on 55 zone he he first car). Later there was a warning ticket in DC ( I have the ticket itself ) and that is it. I called all those people and got those clearances and I also have everything like paid tickets, receipts etc.

Also called IRS for forms asking them to tell me if I have any dues (no dues and I also have all the tax form copies with me). I called IRS on the 800 number and they sent it in a couple of days. So better keep everything in file and be ready. One thing you would like to know is, do not voluneteer info for the INS officer. Whatever he asks you can of course give info but whatever he does not ask, do not have to tell. For example I heard that most officers do NOT ask about tax forms and driving records unless DUI is involved. You can carry all the info but if not asked, do not have to show anything, methinks.

<u>Please post your time line again.>/u> And keep checking the email. Congratulations for your interview. Ironically, Jan 26 is the Indian Independece day! Good luck!

And when you are done with interview, please post your experience also. thanks a lot in advance.

Thanks WouldBeCitizen, here's my timeline so far:

Local office : Milwaukee

Filed N-400 : Aug 4, 03
Fingerprint: Sept 5, 03
Notice of Interview recv'd on: Dec 8, 03
Interview Scheduled for: Jan 26, 04

I have requested for last 5 years transcripts from IRS (Form 4506). Is there another kind of verification I should ask for from IRS to indicate I don't owe them anything? And is the Federal tax returns important only?

I have requested for last 5 years transcripts from IRS (Form 4506). Is there another kind of verification I should ask for from IRS to indicate I don't owe them anything? And is the Federal tax returns important only?

I heard the form # is 1722. May be they changed it? I requested 1722 for all years (not just last five). I requested for the whole family instead of just me because we are two people in family applying for N400.

Oops, inadvertently pressed the enter key before typing the following...

I think only Fed Tax returns matter but you can get state tax forms too. All said and done, INS may not even ask anything. If IRS forms are OK, probably they won't ask anything. Because FBI check will get all these things out - probably. That is my guess.

Netizens, do we have to get the state tax forms too? What if we lived once in a state that has no state taxes - for example TN?
Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by WouldBeCitizen

<u>Please post your time line again.>/u> And keep checking the email. Congratulations for your interview. Ironically, Jan 26 is the Indian Independece day! Good luck!

FYI... Jan 26th is Indian Republic day. Independence day is Aug 15th.

desi111 said:
I know some of you may have to deal with same issue while filling out the N-400 in answering question about speeding.

Should the answer to question about conviction and charging for speeding be entered as YES.

Any advice is appreciated!

If you were not arrested or fingerprinted during the traffic conviction, don't bother to list it on N-400.

JoeF said:
BAD Advice! You have to list citations, not just arrests. Speeding tickets are citations and have to be listed. Period.

joef daddy. Citations could include parking tickets, jay walking citation and verbal warnings. Dont need to report anything but arrest and fingerprinting citations. joef daddy needs coffee. :D :D :D

Immg-Jock said:
joef daddy. Citations could include parking tickets, jay walking citation and verbal warnings. Dont need to report anything but arrest and fingerprinting citations. joef daddy needs coffee. :D :D :D

Are you dsfg100 , if Yes, then get out don't be a spoiler here again :D :D :D
if Not then stop posting junk ,nobody wants to read junkie stuff here.

Last edited by a moderator:
JoeF said:
Troll. You obviously can't read. On the N-400: "Have you ever been cited ..." Verbal warnings are not citations.
Now get lost, dsfgh.
PLONK{/b]

joef daddy. It seems you don't know the meaning of "citation". Citation does not have to be in writing only. If an officer stops you for speeding, and lets you go with a warning and without giving a ticket, that is citation too. Learn that? :p :p :p

--------------------------------------
Life is Great, Bush is back.