Special Registration for Bangladeshis in San Francisco

qzahmed

Registered Users (C)
I went for Special registration today in San Francisco at 8.30 am and stood in the line. After few minutes a person came and asked for the people who were there for SPR. I was the only one ... I gave my passport, DL and I-94. The person gave a reference sheet told me to go to another building.
Oh, I had my attorney with me all the time. So we went to the new building and submitted the reference sheet, the lady at the desk asked for all my H1 approvals, passport, copy of pay stubs (last 3 months) and employment verification letter. She gave me a form to fill up which asked

1. detail info about your parents (dob, add, ph etc)
2. Your current job info
3. Reference (2 locals and 1 in back home (must be someone except your parents))
4. All the addresses you have lived during your stay in US along with phone number and Zip code (yes, she asked for it)
5. School info (if you are currently enrolled)

BTW, we had go through security scan check upon entering the building.

We waited from 9 am -10.50 am before my name was called for the interview. I was asked my name, parents name and where I stay. I was sworn-in after that and then she went over all the places I worked and for how long. After few general questions like whether I am married or single, how many kids, how long I am in US, was I here on any other Visa. Important: asked me details about the personal references I provided (i.e. how do I know them and for how long). Asked whether I have any ID with me apart from passport. I provided my DL, student ID and SS card. She returned the SS and said only photo ID. But the funny part is... she took the SSN from the SS card ( no complaints). Hmmm, the best part asked for ATM card and a credit card. I gave the ATM card and didn't give any credit card. She said how come you carry your cards in a packet rather than in a wallet. I said, I lost my atm card few days back after that I only carry my DL and 1 atm card in a packet :). She believed me and took down the ATM card number.

After that I gave finger print of my Index fingers (both left and right). She assigned me a FIN, wrote the FIN in I-94 and in passport. Also gave me some papers to read later where she wrote when I should come next. Also told me that It's important to send a copy of passport (with FIN marked pages) and I-94 (with FIN marked) to the immigration lawyer as they are important for Green Card processing. The total interview was for about 25 mins.

That's It. She thanked for waiting and I thanked her for her time....... yahooo... done for a year.

I also met two Bangladeshis, one is doing PhD in Berkeley and other one is an employee of Sun (lives in fremont). Both of them were fine... no problems.

Good Luck future registrants.

Zubair

245(i)+I-485 Pending+Registration

I've over stayed my F-1, but took advantage of 245(i) before April 30, 2001. Now I have the following:

Labor Cert.
I-140 Approved.
EAC valid until Sep 2003
I-485 FP Done Oct 2002
I-485 Pending (Receipt Date Aug 2002)

Any ideas on my situation guys?

shourav,

What I understood was that you simply had to present evidence that you were currently in status. I for example did not take old I20 documents or anything of that sort.

If you are employed, take your EAD, a letter from your employer, and some pay stubs along with the I485 receipt notice. It may be enough.

Since your case may or may not be complicated I would urge you to confer with a lawyer if at all possible before you go.

good luck.
sadiq

Thanx Dude!

Sadiq,

I have all that you just mentioned and I do have a lawyer that says I shouldn't have any problem. But my problem is my previous out-of-status situation. Have you seen the page on Office-by-Office case handling? Instructions says something and people are reporting something else. There are lawyers that are at a loss with client situation, because INS is not following their own instructions. At this point my only hope is to know that someone with my situation went thru reg okay. My question to you is:

1. Did you have to take advantage of 245(i)?
2. Did you have any prior out-of-status situation?
3. Do you know of anyone that has same situation?
4. Does a valid EAC mean that you are in status?

Thanx again!
:( :confused: :mad:

shourav,

I'm not familiar with the situation in different offices. In my particular case I only brought documents starting from my graduation from college. I did not show any I20s; just what I had on hand which was H1B documents. This was in Portland, OR.

Is an EAC the same as an EAD? I don't know what that is, and I'm also unfamilair with the 245. I also recommend that you post this inquiry in the NSC- Adjustment of Status issues forum. They get a lot more traffic than this one and the readers are more experienced. Chances are someone will know the answer.

Based on everything I've heard, it seems like BCIS interested in knowing if you are currently in status. I am of course not a lawyer, so this is not a legal opinion. Also, to answer your other question I've heard of several Bangladeshi's who've registered, but from what I do know, all of the cases were straight forward like mine.

regards,
sadiq.

shourav,

I have exactly the same details as yourself.

The spr went well and they didnt ask much at all.. Just verified all my papers .. took my picture and fingerprint, stamped my passport and wrote some information in it.

best of luck