special registration for bangladeshi national

wasim26

Registered Users (C)
hi,

if you are from Bangladesh and has recently completed your special registration, could you please post your registration experience.

--thanks

So far I know some of my bangladeshi friends (valid student visa ) already did registration & everything was fine. Not a problem

Couple bad experiences I just read in the newsper for Bangladeshis. One was issued an NTA, he was out of status for a while but currently in status.

Surprisingly, a Green Card holder was recently (last week) deported from JFK due to the fact that the items he declared in the custom's form didn't match his luggage. He had some foods in his luggage that he had not or had forgotten to declare. This is a very upsetting and scary news for all, not only for Bangladeshis....so please be little wary at your travel!!

PS .This news was published last week in "Daily Ittefaq"....a BD newspaper!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Special Registration for Bangladeshi's

Hello,

I went for the special registration (I am calling it MRA: Muslim Registration Act for obvious reasons) last week in Portland, OR.

I showed up at BCIS at 07:45. The security guards took my passport and showed me to the waiting room. The officer came in for the interview at 08:00. The first thing they do is swear you in (just like in the movies. you raise your right hand and swear under penalty of perjury that the information you are about to give is the truth).

The bulk of the interview is spent looking at the following items:

1. Visa: bring H1, F1, etc. Also bring any BCIS correspondence such as I485 receipt notice).
2. Proof of employment. I brought pay stubs and a letter from my employer. Students will probably need a letter from the university stating they are full time students and taking the minimum hours required.
3. Proof of resident. I brought my apartment lease agreement.
4. Names and addresses of 3 people in the United States who you list as contact persons.

Other questions you'll be asked is if you've ever been arrested or have had trouble with the law. The whole thing took 30 minutes. I was done by 08:30. My advice is all follows:

1. Get all your documents organized. Print out the names and addresses, passport information, place and date of birth. The BCIS officer has to type these in, and if you have them handy it gets them in a good mood.
2. If at all possible review what you're taking with a lawyer. I showed our company attorney the items and discussed it with my immigration lawyer.
3. Provided you are organized, everything should be quick if you are in status. If your status in questionable or in a grey area, I strongly urge you to seek legal counsel.
4. Show up early. Find out when the local BCIS opens its doors and be there before it does. This will reduce your wait time.

I've also ready numerous postings by others on-line and on the Daily Star (www.dailystarnews.com). In general things have been going well.

In conclusion I would like to stae one thing. There is no good or bad country. Any nation on the BCIS special registration list is under suspicion. State Department officials saying otherwise are lying through their teeth.
Good luck to you all and go knowing most people from Bangladesh have had very little to complain about the procedue (aside from the fact that our country was the only Democracy on the list, but that's for another forum).

Best wishes.
sadiq.

SR

Hi All,

I went to INS/ATL for Special Registration on Mar 13,03. I had to wait for 3 hours to have interview with INS Officer because there were few people before me.

I am currently H1 and completed my BSCS in ATL as F1. So, Officer asked me for my I-20 and then H1 paper which was new I-94. He also asked for reference letter from my employer and pay stub which I provided to him.

I spent twenty minutes for interview while he was typing all the information in the system and provided me FIN# and added comment in my I-94 that I have registered. He also handed me a booklet and told me to show up for next year within my anniversary date + 10 days.

FYI - When I provided my passport at the counter, then they print out some document and created a file. When I was talking with him, he was also reviewing that file.

Special Registration at Newark, NJ

Hello All:

I am a Bangladeshi Citizen, went to Newark NJ on 10th March for Special Registration. My attorney accompanied me.

We reached there at 9:15 AM and directly went to 14th Floor (For SR you dont need to wait in the line) While entering the building we had to do the security checks. The SR Interview is on 14th Floor (Room 1404).

At the receiption a lady asked my passport gave me a form to fill up and requested me to wait until they call me. The form is almost similar to the one posted at www.bangladoot.org.

It was a long wait.. at around 11:00 AM they called me. My attorney had to show his form G28. The INS officer was very polite, professional and kind. She asked my H1 original I797, Letter from employer, Last two paystubs, Utility bill / apt lease, SS Card, DL, All credit cards and Check Cards. After 15 minutes of interview the Computer system crashed and we were requested to wait outside for another 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes she called me again and this time she already typed some of my information at her Computer. Took my fingerprint and a photograph. After completion of the interview she gave me a list of designated port that I should use if I wish to leave US and an address change form.

She wrote the FIN number on my I94, Visa - and on the back of I94 she wrote the date and place of SR.

Thanks and good luck to you all.

245(i) Registration

So far looks like all of you guys have spot less record, so everything went smooth. Do you guys know of anyone that isn't so perfect? How those people are being treated? Have anyone heard of any Bangladeshi getting NTA? Here is my situation:

I've over stayed my F-1, but took advantage of 245(i) before April 30, 2001. Now I have the following:

Labor Cert.
I-140 Approved.
EAC valid until Sep 2003
I-485 FP Done Oct 2002
I-485 Pending (Receipt Date Aug 2002)

Any ideas on my situation guys?