"somewhat" twisted experience for a job...

deep234

Hi,

I am on EAD and AP. I got it thru my husband. I have been sitting at home for last 2.5 years since we came from India wherein I was working at a reputed software firm for 2 years.

Now since I can work here legally, I want to ask some advise from you folks - As long as I can do well in an interview and the actual job, will it be alright from "legal" standpoint to state in my resume - an experience of say around 1 year working in US in some company. I know that no company asks for any experience certificate etc.

I want to add here that I had my EAD for last 1.5 years. But I was at home taking care of the baby.

Your advise will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Deepika.

You don't have to lie

Trust me. Its okay to say that for 1.5 years you were taking care of your child.
The skill/confidence decides whether the person should be in that job or not. Also, your assumption that company do not check for certicate maybe right but companies do check the authenticity of jobs held by the person. These big companies do hire companies like hire right to check if there are falsified information on the resume. Its one of the number one white collar crimes in US. An individual can be prosecuted fo falsified information.
I dont want to scare you. The choice is yours.

Knowingly claiming false ? Must be illegal. Better to have a clean experience record than twisted. In my opinion, it would be wise to go with what you truthfully have.

deep234 said:
Hi,

I am on EAD and AP. I got it thru my husband. I have been sitting at home for last 2.5 years since we came from India wherein I was working at a reputed software firm for 2 years.

Now since I can work here legally, I want to ask some advise from you folks - As long as I can do well in an interview and the actual job, will it be alright from "legal" standpoint to state in my resume - an experience of say around 1 year working in US in some company. I know that no company asks for any experience certificate etc.

I want to add here that I had my EAD for last 1.5 years. But I was at home taking care of the baby.

Cheers
Deepika.

Rose101 said:
Knowingly claiming false ? Must be illegal. Better to have a clean experience record than twisted. In my opinion, it would be wise to go with what you truthfully have.
ha ha ha!! In that case more than 80-90% of "consultants" on H1Bs will never get jobs.
It's rampant in the software industry and is done by gigantic corporations to tiny consulting companies.
If you're going to apply for a permanent job, yes, the company most likely will do a comprehensive background check.
If you're going to be hired as an hourly consultant they will ONLY check criminal history to ensure that you're straight and nothing more.
Here's a cynical observation: a huge number of people fake their resumes and get away with it. I've never heard of anyone, especially in software, get caught and be fired for it. Typically they all get jobs and learn ON THE JOB in the first few months by working hard.
I see it every day. People who are honest about their resumes miss a lot of opportunities because stupid "preferred vendors" and even stupider HR people go thru these honest resumes with a highlighter and look for keywords and drop them.
Fake resumes are welcomed with big smiles and the candidates are given the positions.
Such is life.
Deepika, if you tell potential employers that you've been sitting at home for 2.5 yrs, I will guarantee that you will not be considered for a job more than 75% of the time, perhaps more.
So the decision is yours: do you want to fake it and get a job or be honest about it and struggle for a little longer.

deep234 said:
Hi,

Many companies do credit history check and the credit history report has all the employers you worked with.

Cheers
Deepika.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, and this ain't legal advice, its just my opinion.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

nj_skm said:
ha ha ha!! In that case more than 80-90% of "consultants" on H1Bs will never get jobs.

These "consulting" comapnies do not have bonafide permanent jobs and people face risk of I-485 denial. Personally, I don't agree with 80-90% number.

nj_skm said:
It's rampant in the software industry and is done by gigantic corporations to tiny consulting companies.

How do you know?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

deep234

It is perfectly OK to stay home and nurse your baby. My wife also satyed away from work for 2.5 years. She started working last month. No problem.

Good Luck with your search. Take my advice, Don't Lie.

deep234....i would suggest that you make a honest resume.....and try in a area which is not your primary...(neigbouring town..) infact you can post it on online website under a different name to see if you get interveiw calls at all...

how to manage different resumes: post it on online websites, with a pay as you go cell phone.....voice mail should say with that name.....then followup the leads saying your friend (fake name) referred you to the job and he/she is not available...

if you get interview call go with it....and see if they are positive.............

if not....you may have to fake it.........its a very stressful thing to do since you will be expected to know all that you have faked.....and you may have to work 10-12 hours to get things done in the first few months....

i would suggest if you want stress free life.....go with a honest resume.....you may have to job hunt for 5-6 months.........get some certifications etc........and i am positive you will get a job...

Last edited by a moderator:
deep234 said:
Hi,

Cheers
Deepika.

DON'T FAKE YOUR EXPERIENCE. TELL THE TRUTH THAT YOU WERE TAKING CARE OF YOUR BABY FOR 2.5 YRS. YOU SHOULD BE FINE IN GETTING JOBS.

TRY TO SEE IF YOU CAN FAKE IT and GET THE JOB.
I DOUBT THOUGH!
Please don't embarras other people from you country by putting such stupid questions up for discussion.

deep234 said:
Hi,

Cheers
Deepika.

desi3933 said:
These "consulting" comapnies do not have bonafide permanent jobs and people face risk of I-485 denial. Personally, I don't agree with 80-90% number.
True. They're not consulting companies but simply body shoppers. They're simply exploiting an economic situation and a legal situation to hire less-than-skilled and less-than-experienced people on H1s and then shop them out.
I'm not so sure about the 485 denial. I personally know so many people who got their GCs thru such companies.
Truth be said, such companies are more sympathetic towards their H1 situations than big corporations.
And, yes, I would say that a very large percentage of such "consultants" fake their resumes. Maybe 80%. Maybe 75%. But I know it's done.

How do you know?
I don't. Just an experienced guess.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

All that matters is real skills and confidence

I doubt on 80-90%. Some may get away but still it is illegal and grossly ineffective for positive results at work place. Eventually only reality stands and fakeness suffers. To get attention of potential employers, there are better ways of presenting effective resumes with real skills and real experience whereas faking stands unproductive, low and uncreative.

nj_skm said:
If you're going to apply for a permanent job, yes, the company most likely will do a comprehensive background check.
If you're going to be hired as an hourly consultant they will ONLY check criminal history to ensure that you're straight and nothing more.
Here's a cynical observation: a huge number of people fake their resumes and get away with it. I've never heard of anyone, especially in software, get caught and be fired for it. Typically they all get jobs and learn ON THE JOB in the first few months by working hard.
I see it every day. People who are honest about their resumes miss a lot of opportunities because stupid "preferred vendors" and even stupider HR people go thru these honest resumes with a highlighter and look for keywords and drop them.
Fake resumes are welcomed with big smiles and the candidates are given the positions.
Such is life.
Deepika, if you tell potential employers that you've been sitting at home for 2.5 yrs, I will guarantee that you will not be considered for a job more than 75% of the time, perhaps more.
So the decision is yours: do you want to fake it and get a job or be honest about it and struggle for a little longer.

Deep, my wife has been through similar experience. Eventually she's got a job. In America, it is true that it is becoming more and more common that wives stay at home nursing. I am sure it will require a bit of work, but eventually you will get a job. It may require that you accept less than ideal positions, lower wages in the beginning to build up your rsume, but you can make it. Moreover, if you see that you can't get the job after several months of searching, perhaps you could take a part-time certificate course to look active in your field again.

All that said, talking about the resume, in this specific scenario since you had a gap in employment I would go too far to lie your in your resume. I think there was a pending law to fine people caught embelishing resumes by listing degrees they don't hold, for example. I am not sure whether that bill passed or not.

Anyway, it is true that a very large number of people embelish resumes, one way or the other. I think in the end of what it matters is how intense and how well worded the embelishment is. I agree with one of the posters that if one sometimes don't embelish, you may end up losing lots of opportunities. Therefore in general, it is a matter of wording your resume very well at least, otherwise one may end not getting good jobs.

deep234 said:
Hi,

Cheers
Deepika.

I thought I have closed the topic by saying that I am going to stick to basics which is - being truthful in my resume

But when I just opened the portal again, was surprised to see so many postings. I honestly thank all of you for your suggestions. I really admire people who guide somebody strange so honestly !!

I asked the question, because I heard people doing all that and wanted to see if thats acceptable in the industry.

I am ready to wait forever than fake my profile, but in this land of opportunities I am sure if one is hard working and intelligent, one usually lands up a good opportunity. And I am banking on that.

Thanks again to all you nice and beautiful people for your suggestions.

deep234.....thats true....in todays job market..........truthful but well presented resume can land you a job.......it may take some time.....but after you get the job there will no stress.....