Something Constructive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilip

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,

In the midst of waiting for our GC , why not we compile a list of things that would help the immigrant community in spending effectively and efficiently. What I mean by this is the fact that there are a few costs that are fixed across the board(irrespective of where we stay in the US). For example, the best calling plans, best online sites for buying electronics and other items. The focus here is on quality and also cost effectiveness. Lets put on our searching caps and brain storm.

Please refrain from any marketing pitches and solicitations. If people feel that this thread may induce SpAM, I shall delete it immediately. I am just trying to compile a list of cost effective fixed costs. I am aware that this thread is digressing from immigrational discussions. My humble opinion is that money saved through this list could be used to pool in for other immigration related activities.

Dilip (Ex GCAR)

Dilip

The moderator of this forum and several participants have expressed their opinion repeatedly that this forum should be restricted strictly for chatting immigration issues only. Once you open this for non-immigration issues, there is always a 100% chance someone will start another thread for a new issue not related to immigration. Then it will be a mess with people finding it difficult to search for critical immigration topics. So, please dedist from proceeding further on such issues.

If the moderator or anbd else wants to close this thread, then so be it. But what immigration issues can people keep on discussing in this 2 + years wait ?. A lot of poeple might leave this forum due to sheer apathy and the moderators may not have anything to moderate at all.

As soon as there is some new news / approval / RFE people do post it, and comment on it.

If poeple do not want to read such threads they can choose not to read or contribute. If some thread starts getting offensive, then the moderator can surely step in, but untill then I do not see any reason not to let people share whatever info they want.

I have enjoyed all the three urls posted so far and am sure will be beneficial to me in the future.

but I do feel that any non-immigration thread could be titled with a "SPAM" so that folks who do not want to read the thread can avoid it.

Originally posted by jaykarandikar
but I do feel that any non-immigration thread could be titled with a "SPAM" so that folks who do not want to read the thread can avoid it.

I certainly see your point and agree that it is a good thing to provide browsers with an opportunity to filter out stuff that they may not want. However, how many folks do you sincerely believe come to these boards wanting to just read the stuff that is relevant to their immigration situation and move on. In my experience, most people visit these forums because they are bored beyond belief with their wait. For most of us, this is a place where we can keep ourselves amused and get some support, succor and sympathy, while at the same time getting the odd bit of useful information.

We often notice that people who have questions dont even bother to search past posts for answers, which would be the expected behavior of someone who is very focused on a given topic. They go right ahead and start a new thread, which is just fine. And then there are these threads with a cloying sequence of "congratulations, enjoy your freedom ....".

In fact, if we did name threads not directly related as "SPAM:", I would not be surprised at all if people opened the spam threads before the ones on someone's third EAD, fourth AP etc.

But, as there seems to be a broad consensus on this nomenclature, I will just say, who am I to disagree..

I agree with all your points Sankrit and personally like to read evth out here. But while folks like us want to indulge in non-immigration threads lets at the same time keep a window for others to avoid these threads.

For e.g. I for one moment really thought that "Something Constructive" was immigration related, probably a new petition, but then saw Dilip's (good) suggestion. I obviously didnt mind reading it at all, but maybe some folks might have got annoyed.

In fact I am of the opinion that all SPAM threads do help us in relieving our frustrations and inject some humor in this forum, and distract us from this "reasonaly inordinate" immigration wait, and hence are in some way immigration related.

My opinion

I feel the one reason why this forum is so successful and popular is because we don't see irrelevant issues posted here and people consider this form as a super database with bunch of useful information. Now, if people started saying that they are getting bored of sitting and waiting for approvals with no other topics to discuss, then it makes some of us wonder if some participants are really sitting on this forum 24/7, taking things that seriously. We got to think how far is it helpful to post non-immigration topics when people come to this forum for the specific purpose of finding information on immigration issues.

I am not ashamed to admit that I have this forum on for the most part of my work day and somedays in the evening after I get home as well.

I have no life; what can I say.

Now let me ask you to honestly tell us how often you browse these forums, and if your genuine information needs justify whatever that frequency is.:rolleyes:

Sorry guys, have to close this. There is 'any topic' forum for posting such things. Please try to avoid posting 'SPAM' threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.