Some personal experiences and thoughts !! (whatever it is worth !!)

bornfree1

Registered Users (C)
Just returned from India with AP (valid till 9/04/04). It was smooth. Point of entry was SFO. The Indian INS officer at the desk reviewed my passport and AP papers. I asked if he needed to see my EAD card. He mentioned "we don't need to see your EAD. EAD/H1 is for your job. AP is for travelling". He then asked me to head to the secondary inspection room where they stamped my AP in a minute. Though they stamped "paroled till 1/15/05", (1 year), the expiration date on my AP(9/04) is what matters. I have to get a new AP to travel after that date. They stamped on the 1st original copy and did nothing with the 2nd and did not keep anything with them.

I had to make connections through Thailand. I showed EAD and parole papers to local Thai immigration. They seemed to be well aware of the parole papers. Only, I had to go through 8 layers of security check because I was catching a flight bound for US. (United)

I have a 2nd 1-yr H1 extension (after 7th year) pending with INS. Though I wanted to stay the EAD/AP route, my company lawyer literally forced me to stay the H1/AP route since it is safer, like I care anymore !!! (offcourse, she is making money through my company). So, I have catergorically told my company lawyer that I will be making more international travels this year with my H1 pending. I cannot be made inflexible and wait for 6 months to get another 1-yr H1 !! I don't care if the H1 is rejected. She said, that is ok as long as I keep sending her the latest I-94s everytime I travel. God knows, what she is going to do with those. I will apply for the next EAD/AP well in advance.

My RD and ND is 5/02. No FP yet. Initially I had thought, once I get my GC, I will go to India and set up a business and come back every year to maintain my GC status (so that I don't have to have that visa hassle everytime I come to US for business purposes). But based on somebody's thread on GC validity, I read the details at Murthy's site and realized that it is not possible anymore (previously it was). I have to stay in US for a much longer period of time and cannot just keep coming back once a year !! So now, I am disillusioned :rolleyes: Hmmmmmm........

That's right

INS could very well revoke your green card if they find out it's misuse. Green card is meant for you permanent resindency inside US and not just a travel permit. You would be better off with a multiple entry visa than a green card if that's your intention. These days they give 10 year visas pretty easily at US consulates in India.

"You would be better off with a multiple entry visa than a green card if that's your intention. These days they give 10 year visas pretty easily at US consulates in India."

I think you will now have difficulty obtaining a non-immigrant visa as you have now demonstrated immigrant intent by filing a I-485 to adjust to permanent resident status.

tombaan

Personally I found this interesting. Why are you so negative? This is an immigration forum, and this post was clearly about immigration issues. I do not understand where your negativity is coming from.

Regarding maintaining GC status, my lawyer's opinion is that to be on the safe side:
1> I should be resident in the US for atleast 2.5 years out of the 5 years prior to applying for US citizenship
2> For any trip made out of US, do not stay out for more than six months at a time. Preferable to make trips 3 months long.