Social security card after I485 approval

yzerong

Registered Users (C)
When we went to stamp our passport today the officer said we can change our social security card at the social security office. We didn't ask the detail as to what form we need to fill out, what's the best time to go, where to go, and how long it takes to get the new card. Can some one share your experience?

don't know where u are going......

either prefer to go in early moring.... or either afternoon lunch time....

not more than 1 hour... I believe........

try to pulout the old info if u have.... and at the time of filling the ss card form its better to go online and fillout yourslef before go..... it will really save time....... they do accept printed copy (pdf file) .

dont forget to make a copy for u... for future use.... keep all doc together and safe

Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey...I didnt do this..Is this to get rid of the statement..VALID FOR WORK WITH INS AUTHORIZATION ONLY?..Do I have to do this? I got my passport stamped early feb but never did this..
Can someone advice?

Madhav

Originally posted by Mad Par
Hey...I didnt do this..Is this to get rid of the statement..VALID FOR WORK WITH INS AUTHORIZATION ONLY?..Do I have to do this? I got my passport stamped early feb but never did this..
Can someone advice?

Madhav

Yes, thats exactly why you do that. You want to get rid of that exception on your card. Plus it will also update your status with SS office when they pull your records from USCIS. Plus, the application is very painless, you get your new card in 10-15 days. If you go and start working for a new employer and he sees your card with this statement, he might get confused (especially for small employers).

Should we apply for new SSN in the same state where we got the first one?

My GC address is in FL whereas I live in Maryland. Is it okay, if I go to Maryland and apply for new one?

Nope, as long as you have a card without that message, you are good to go. If you have a card with the message and want to remove it, go into any SS office. No restrictions on that.

It always remains the same unless you go into witness protection, convince SS office of identity theft using your SSN, etc., which almost never happens.