Social Security and Green Card Senior Citizen

vvlabor

Registered Users (C)
My grandmother has just been granted her G.C She is 76 years old and is a resident of India, never ever worked in U.S
Her daughter is a citizen in U.S and has sponsored her G.C

Will be eligible for any benefits from U.S govt like social security ???

Thanks

No. Her daughter will have to pay for all her expenses for atleast 5 years. She MAY be able to get some support once she is a citizen, however, the hopes of that are fast fading with the current fiasco with the social security. There are certain circumstances where your grandmother can receive some benefits before the 5 year period is over in which case, her daughter will have to disown her. In other words (not to be rude) kick her out on the streets. Her daughter MAY face charges from the DA office since she has filed an affidavit of support. If that happens, she can get out of it by filing bankruptcy.

In simple words, social security benefits for people who never worked in the US are long gone. It is very hard to get benefits now. My mother is a US citizen and has worked in the US for 7 years. She suffered from cancer and was out of work for over 8 months. When she recovered, she was very weak and could hardly walk. When we approached the social security office to put her on disability and get medical benefits, she was denied. They offered her a small sum of money (I rather say peanuts) but no medical benefits. The only reason she is working now is to get health insurance.

I hope I have drawn a clear picture for you.

Thanks

Eric

You have to have worked forty quarters, each quarter being 3 months for claiming social security benefits, you can claim disability if there are less quarters but the rules for disability are getting tougher.

tangohi said:
You have to have worked forty quarters, each quarter being 3 months for claiming social security benefits, you can claim disability if there are less quarters but the rules for disability are getting tougher.

You are right tangohi...40 quarters (or 10 years) is the rule of thumb nowadays.