Skin Test +ve, X Ray Normal

kargill

Hi Gurus,

Pls help me,
I had Skin tested +ve, but X-ray normal, Doctor wrote Treatement recommended almost a year back and i have not taken any treatement as of now .

Pls clarify, if i should take treatement or not.

I140 approved
I485 waiting
fp scheduled april 22

You should take izoniazid for 6-9 months for prophilaxis. That doesn't mean you're sick but you can develop TB if you don't take it. On the other hand coming from a country where TB is highly prevalent, a positive PPD can mean only exposure ... I saw ppl who had +ve PPD and never developed TB ... so it's your choice to take izoniazid or not ... BTW it's very toxic for your liver so cut the alcohol if you decide to take it :).
Hope that helps,
nemessis

kargill said:
Hi Gurus,

Pls help me,
I had Skin tested +ve, but X-ray normal, Doctor wrote Treatement recommended almost a year back and i have not taken any treatement as of now .

Pls clarify, if i should take treatement or not.

I140 approved
I485 waiting
fp scheduled april 22

nemessis said:
You should take izoniazid for 6-9 months for prophilaxis. That doesn't mean you're sick but you can develop TB if you don't take it. On the other hand coming from a country where TB is highly prevalent, a positive PPD can mean only exposure ... I saw ppl who had +ve PPD and never developed TB ... so it's your choice to take izoniazid or not ... BTW it's very toxic for your liver so cut the alcohol if you decide to take it :).
Hope that helps,
nemessis

nemessis,

In India, people get DPT shots, due to which PPD test comes positive - my doctor gave me this explanation. I want to get another expert(and free ;) ) opinion. So ...

By the way, what about your GC/Stamping/Card? Updates?

Last edited by a moderator:
Same in all Eastern European countries. The vaccine given in the early childhood contains antibodies to the TB, so when the skin test is done it reacts to the antibodies in the vaccine instead of antibodies created due to the presence of the virus.
If the X-ray is clean, not treatment is necessary but it can delay your I485 application because the officer may request another X-ray to make sure that it hasn't progressed to the active stage.