Should I go home to renew my visa?

patches7

Registered Users (C)
Will I be denied?

Hello. I am new here. So here's a little bit about myself. I was born and raised in Hong Kong. I finished high school there and came to the US in 2002. I first went to a community college. After 2.5 years, I transferred to UC Berkeley. I spent 2.5 years studying there (it was a small department that I was in, and some classes were not offered every semester, therefore I had to wait one semester to have all my major classes done) and got my bachelor's degree. It was the end of 2006. I got my OPT card. But after a few months I decided to be an RN. So in Fall 2007 I went back to community college to do my pre-req classes for associate degree nursing program. In Spring 2010, I finally got into an RN program and am doing pretty good. The last time I went home was Summer 2006. I want to go back home this July, but that means I will have to renew my visa that is sponsored by my current school. I've been thinking if I should go home because I think there is a good chance of my application for an F-1 visa being denied. Are the officers going to think that I am using F-1 visa to stay in the US as long as I can? Why would a person with a bachelor's degree go back to community college?

Nursing is a big field that is still growing and is going to be growing forever. With an RN license, I can work anywhere. Who doesn't need nurses? If I get my license here in California, I can basically get certified without too much extra work in many countries and back home. My bachelor's degree is in something that most people have never heard of. There's not a lot of job offers even in America. So I just want to change to something that I can find job easily anywhere. When I was younger, I did dream of getting a job in the US. But right now, I don't care where I work. I just want to finish the RN program, pass the board, and get my license. And I know with an associate degree RN I won't be qualified for work visa.

So, I just wonder if anybody can guesstimate my chance of being denied, knowing that nursing school is hard to get in and is a tough program; and that I know already that I won't be qualified to apply for work visa after being licensed, thus having no intention to stay after I finish my study? I mean, how are the officers and you gonna look at me?

If there is a high risk of denial, I won't be going home this year...
Thank you in advance! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Could someone kindly give me some advice please? I need to make a decision whether I should go home this summer very soon... please... pretty please...

A visa is only needed for entry. As long as you have a valid I-94 and you are abiding by the terms of the associated status, there is no need to worry about another stamping.

But I want to go home and visit my parents and my visa is not up-to-date. If I go home, I will need to renew my visa. With my condition mentioned on the first post, am I gonna be rejected?

Concerned4us is right, we can't predict.

Besides, my intl advisor told me that you do not need to renew your visa. As long as your I-20 is up-to-date, you're fine. Thing is, you cannot travel. So, I'm going to renew my visa next year, not cos I need to but cos I don't want to be stuck in the States. I may need to travel but won't be able to cos my visa is expired.