Should I extend EAD?

creativeguy

Registered Users (C)
hello everyone,

I am a silent visitor to this forum. I have 4 months remaining for my EAD to expire. also my and my wife's GC is still pending. I had following questions

1) should I extend my EAD and AP? It has been ten months since my 485 was filed (RD - sept 2001)

2) If extending , then should I extend it myself or ask my lawyer. I am afraid to approach my lawyer since he works for my old company who sponsored my GC. I have been in the market since last 4 months looking for opportunities.

3) In form 765 (for EAD extension) what should I write for Item 15- current immigration status - (should I write Adjustment of Status)
and what should I fill in Item 16 - Eligibility category. Also what documents I need to attach for the extension.

4) have there been any other members in this forum or their friends who have filed for EAD extension on their own and been successful.

5) Lastly, if I call the IIO what arre the chances of getting a RFE - which I do not want since I am unemployed right now.

Please let me know your views on the above points. Thanks

Re

(i) EAD extension will not take more than 2 months. So you can take a chance and wait till 2 months before EAD expiry. That will save you some money.

(ii) EAD extension form is very simple one page form. you can fill it and send it yourself. Many people in this forum have done that. DO a search.

(iii) I am in EB2 category. In my EAD extension form (which my lawyer sent me but before mailing that my case got approved) column 15 is filled as AOS and column 16 is filled as C 9

(iv) Yes .. I have read many postings. DO a search in archives

(v) Calling IIO does not result in RFE. It is upto the officer who is handling your case.

taurus02,

Thanks for the fast response. I appreciate your input. One other question for Item 16 there are three parentheses to be filled in . I believe the your response of c9 goes into the last parenthesis. will that complete the response to item 16?
Once again, thanks.:)

Taurus,

I believe I have a fairly good understanding of GC's various components.

But from ur various postings @various threads, u seem to have a hell of encyclopedia in ur brain all the time.

Very good job. :) :)

dma_va

dma_va,
Long wait for approval, couple of RFEs, excessive time on immigration sites teaches you lots of things !!

Now coming back to topic - column 16 of my EAD renewal form looks like this
(c) (9) ( )

My lawyer asked for following things for EAD & AP renewal

1. 4 INS style photographs (I guess 2 for EAD, 2 for AP)
2. A copy of last EAD (front and back)
3. Itenarary intended travel outside the USA including destination, departure and arrival dates.

along with INS fee.

I am in the same situation as you! I think ...

you may wait a couple of months to renew EAD. I found here several days ago that people get renewed in a week. We need to find out the time frame needed to get it done first. And, regarding C9 or whatever, I think you can check your first application form. You should have a copy of it. And I also think we can do it on our own. We are more efficient.

Do I have to go through a lawyer for EAD renewal?

My company has stopped sponsoring EAD renewals for spouses and my lawyer charges more than 100 bucks for 1 EAD renewal over and above the $ 120 INS fee. My question is whether I can fill the necessary form on my own and sent it to INS or do I have to go through lawyer?

Re: Do I have to go through a lawyer for EAD renewal?

Originally posted by Optimystique
My company has stopped sponsoring EAD renewals for spouses and my lawyer charges more than 100 bucks for 1 EAD renewal over and above the $ 120 INS fee. My question is whether I can fill the necessary form on my own and sent it to INS or do I have to go through lawyer?

If a form is sent thru lawyer he had to add an additional form signed by you (form G-8 Notice of attorney as representative). It says if INS has any queries on that form they can contact him as your representative. Therefore all RFE notices go to lawyer.

if you do not want a lawyer - just send the filled form to VSC. Any RFEs generated come directly to you. EAD extension form is same as Original EAD application form. (Just tick Renewal instead of New application and also this time you may have A# to fill). Only Rfe possible probably is Photograph is not in proper format.

Answer to your question - you can do the entire process on your own.