Should I apply N-400 or wait? Please advise!

newbie001

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I will be eligible to apply for citizenship by 1st week of August (5 years after getting green card and 3 months after I moved into new state). But I now live in a temporary home (rented). I am building a new home (in the same county) and will be moving there in November 2007.

Now the question is,

Is it ok to apply N-400 with current address and change the address during the process? Can I change my address?
OR
Is it wise to wait until I move into my permenant home so that I avoid all mailing address confusions?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Newbie001.

When I was building a new house (and living temporarily in an apartment), I went to Home Depot, bought a cheap mailbox and mounted it on a post at the edge of the lot. Then I went to the post office to let them know it was there and redirected my mail to my new (unbuilt) place. Since I was visiting the work site nearly every day it worked out well. It was my "permanent residence" well before it was ready to accept residents.

Hi all,

I will be eligible to apply for citizenship by 1st week of August (5 years after getting green card and 3 months after I moved into new state). But I now live in a temporary home (rented). I am building a new home (in the same county) and will be moving there in November 2007.

Now the question is,

Is it ok to apply N-400 with current address and change the address during the process? Can I change my address?
OR
Is it wise to wait until I move into my permenant home so that I avoid all mailing address confusions?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Newbie001.

The simplest way to do it is to go down to the Post Office, get a mailbox which gives you a P.O. Box No and use that as your mailing address. use the apt address as your permanent address. You can change that later.

Definatly agree with getting a P.O. Box from the post office. That's what I had all the way up to my Green Card. The USCIS is horrible at keeping track of addresses and address changes, as you probably have realized how inconsistant they are for just your immigration journey.

Don't give them anymore more room to screw something up and delay your N-400 process. Give them one address and stick with it. So the P.O. Box is a great way to do it...

Are you serious? Can I do that? :)

When I was building a new house (and living temporarily in an apartment), I went to Home Depot, bought a cheap mailbox and mounted it on a post at the edge of the lot. Then I went to the post office to let them know it was there and redirected my mail to my new (unbuilt) place. Since I was visiting the work site nearly every day it worked out well. It was my "permanent residence" well before it was ready to accept residents.

Are you really serious?! :) :cool: :D :confused: Am I allowed to do that? Because, legally until the closing, the house is not even under my name. Right?!

Can I still do whatever you mentioned?

Newbie001.

Ah, I owned the land. I didn't take possession of the house till it was finished, but I did own the land it was on.

You could ask whoever owns it.