Should I again update my address to USCIS even after naturalization

srocket

Registered Users (C)
Hai
I changed my address during my N400 process. And I update the address change via of AR11. In the month of OCT 2007 I am Naturalized and I am a US citizen now and now again I have to change my address because of JOB. Should I again update my address to USCIS even after naturalization. Please inform.

Thank
SR

No need to change your address anymore.....you are free and you no longer have an Alien Number....no more Alien...just a tax paying citizen

You still would need to notify the USCIS about a change of address if you sponsored a relative (the USCIS has a Sponsor Change of Address form).

You still would need to notify the USCIS about a change of address if you sponsored a relative (the USCIS has a Sponsor Change of Address form).

Interesting, I had never heard of it. So, how long do you need to keep the USCIS updated with Sponsor change of address (while the application is pending or even after that?)

What form is this? (like AR-11, I assume this is a specific form for Sponsor change of address)

The instructions for the I-865 Sponsor's Notice of Change of Address form specify:
If at any time in the past you completed a Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, to sponsor an immigrant, you are required to report your change of address within 30 days of the change if the sponsorship agreement is still in force.

The sponsorship agreement remains in force until the sponsored immigrant:
- Becomes a U.S. citizen;
- Can be credited with 40 quarters of work;
- Departs the United States permanently and either formally abandons lawful permanent resident status (by filing Form I-407) or is formally held in a removal proceeding to have abandoned that status;
- In a removal proceeding, loses the lawful permanent resident status that the sponsored immigrant obtained based on your Form I-864; or
- Dies.

Let me see if I understand this correctly:

Person A is a US Citizen.
Person A sponsors person B (say a parent who has retired - not going to be credited with 40 quarters for work) for Green card.

Then as long as person B maintains GC (and B is not a citizen), Person A has to file change of address whenever he/she(person A) moves?

(person B ofcourse needs to keep filing AR-11 if they change address) - the above question is about sponsor A.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. Person A still needs to inform the USCIS about any change of address - the USCIS wants to be able to track the whereabouts of the sponsor. Please note that person B can also get naturalized over time.

Exactly. Person A still needs to inform the USCIS about any change of address - the USCIS wants to be able to track the whereabouts of the sponsor. Please note that person B can also get naturalized over time.

Yes, if person B is naturalized, then the I-865 obligation is not there, I suppose.

Hmm...looks like if you sponsor someone, you have to keep filing this change of address for a long time :rolleyes:
I thought we can be done with the AR-11 after citizenship. For some, there may be a I-865 :D

I would think that the change of address in case of being a sponsor it's a regular change of address notification, not AR-11. We don't need to file AR-11 no matter what (as far as I can see) once we're citizens. Do you think I'm wrong?

By the way, the comment about being free of Alien number has a caveat, passport application asks for Alien number, and certificate of citizenship has also the alien number printed on it. I don't think we ever will run away from that number. The point would be that we don't need to remember or use the alien number for more life bureaucratic transactions.

My 2 cents.

I would think that the change of address in case of being a sponsor it's a regular change of address notification, not AR-11. We don't need to file AR-11 no matter what (as far as I can see) once we're citizens. Do you think I'm wrong?

Huracan,

Seems like you dont need to file AR-11, but the I-865 change of address form if you are a sponsor.

My point being you still need to notify them - AR 11 or whichever else the form - should you sponsor someone. That obligation, which I thought is finished when you get citizenship, may actually extend :)

Yes, ok, thanks for the clarification. However, that requirement for sponsors applies both to naturalized and non-naturalized citizens. The only point I was trying to make was that AR-11 is not supposed to be filed by citizens ;) Which was the original poster question.

Here is my scenario gurus-Please clarify

Here is my scenario gurus
I am naturalized in this month(October 07) and now again I am changing my address. Right now I don’t have plans to sponsor anyone ,because my mother has a visiting visa and she comes to see me once in a year. I go to India to see her once in a year. But after one year her visa gets expired and at that time I will need to sponsor her for her green card.
My question is should I update my address now with USCIS (i.e) with this initial move?
Or can I give my address(the address where I will be living) when I am sponsoring my mother (say after one year)?
If I give my address after one year my address that was on my file at the time of naturalization doesn’t tally .Will that be OK?
Please clarify Gurus

No need to do anything now. If and when you decide to sponsor your mother, you can simply give your current address at the time you submit the paperwork.