should go for H1 extension or not

usa_gc_waiting

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys..
I got my I140 approval on 04/27/2005.Now i have a question,if you guys could pls advise me..My 6 years on H1 expiring on 07/31/05..Should i go for 7th year H1 extension or not????I will really appreciate yr views..

Thanks a lot :eek:

Hi

It's always better to have H1 till your I 485 approval.But some time company don't 7th year extension, they will force you to go on EAD.

My company didn't pay for my 7th year H1.
My 6th year completed on March 2nd week. Since I had to pay I waited until the last week to file the extension (though my attorney got all the documentation ready before one month of expiry) i told him to wait until the last minute hoping for any approval. 140/485 Approval did not come and I told him to file it on first week of march (cost me $1600 for H1 & H4).

Since your expiry is 07/31 you have some time. Wait for 2 months and hope 485 will be approved before this time. File it in July first week if nothing happens. Why waste money if you have to pay from your pocket.

By the way my wife's H4 extension was approved last week(took 40-45 days roughly). So hopefully my 7th year H1 might have also been approved. Need to check with my attorney. I'm too lazy to even call my attorney to check if it is approved. What the hell, let him send me a letter when it is approved.

usa_gc_waiting said:
Hi guys..
Should i go for 7th year H1 extension or not????I will really appreciate yr views..

If your company is paying go for it -- else I really do not see any reason to do an H1b extension.

1> 485 denial are very rare.
2> If you have H1b extended and 485 denied then next what -- if you plan to move back U will get just few more months on H1b-- and U cannot do a new GC processing in those few months.
3> Even after expiry of EAD -- they give us 6 months to leave the country ~~ without invoking any violation etc..
4> The best thing to do if 485 is denied to go back for a year and then come back on H1b again for six more years --- then start GC all over again :confused:

The only advantage I see in applying for H1b extension is ~~~
Say Ur 485 gets denied and U have 6 more months on H1b .. Add it to it a six months of excuse time given by INS. So If you apply for a fresh labor -- and every thing lines up well ~~ U may get an new EAD on pending labor for one year.

Hmm in a way I think it is waste of $$$ to do a H1b extension after Ur I-140 approval.

:)