shoplifting - citizenship

pmodi

Registered Users (C)
Some stupid thing (shop lifting incident) I have done in the past. Hope that does not affect my citizenship. 3 years ago, I was shopping in a grocery store, I was talking on the phone, I forgot that I put in a chocolate bar in my pocket and did not pay for it.

Security stopped me, after I paid for other things. Took a picture of me, asked me to sign explain a piece of paper. He asked me never come back to the store. If I come back, they would turn me to police. I think they also may have to put my picture in the store for display for somewhere. I am not sure. I was so embarrassed.

Of course, I never went to back to the store and never to put Reeses chocolate bar in to my pocket. Would this have been reported? Is there some kind of database, this would have been entered into? If so, should I check that database? Should this be something I should worry about? thoughts?

Paresh

I'd think that as long as No Law Enforcement Agencies were involved and you did not get any citation, arrested, never went to court for this and never received a legal notice, summon in the mail etc, you should be OK.

It seems like the store security gave you a warning and let you go.

if i remember correctly, there is a question in n400 form. it asks if you have committed any crims or offense but you were not arrived, citated.

how would you want to answer this question?

ocworker said:
if i remember correctly, there is a question in n400 form. it asks if you have committed any crims or offense but you were not arrived, citated.

how would you want to answer this question?

Based on the details he provided it doesn't seem like it was a crime or an offense. In my opinion, it seems like a honest mistake.

Deer said:
Based on the details he provided it doesn't seem like it was a crime or an offense. In my opinion, it seems like a honest mistake.

i am not too sure. i think someone called jen or jenmim (something like that) had a similar case. but i believe she was very upset at the store so she got changed the dress / jacket, and walked out with the new dress...

anyway.. it is difficult for me to determine the OP should report it or not.

pmodi said:
Some stupid thing (shop lifting incident) I have done in the past. Hope that does not affect my citizenship. 3 years ago, I was shopping in a grocery store, I was talking on the phone, I forgot that I put in a chocolate bar in my pocket and did not pay for it.

Security stopped me, after I paid for other things. Took a picture of me, asked me to sign explain a piece of paper. He asked me never come back to the store. If I come back, they would turn me to police. I think they also may have to put my picture in the store for display for somewhere. I am not sure. I was so embarrassed.

Of course, I never went to back to the store and never to put Reeses chocolate bar in to my pocket. Would this have been reported? Is there some kind of database, this would have been entered into? If so, should I check that database? Should this be something I should worry about? thoughts?

Paresh

I think this is pretty tricy. it sounds to me like private parking citation. Where private parking citations go? Even though I don't know, in my opinion private security contractors do not the force to record like these misdemeanors into government records. I think you should be safe, and if the questions somehow come up just be honest and explain what happened as you just explained to us. I won't worry about too much.

PS. however I really have some reservation that a private security contractor at a grocery store in which you shopped and paid most of the products would photograph you for just a piece of candy bar you forget in you pocket. That is upsurd. Why would content to that. they couldn't do that to you. I used to work at the grocey store and if for example some incidents like that happen it not a big deal. You have suited the store that have done that to you and put your photo on display at store for candy bar you took for mistake............................................ :D

I am not sure if I am getting this right! Private security guards are not part of the law inforcement? So to faysal who worked in the store why some stores choose to hire security contractors and while others arrest the shoplifter with police intervention and court and what have you?

modi
if you feel you made an honest mistake and no citations were issued then i'd let it go. its very unlikely anyone with intent to steal would settle for 1 choclate bar! all the best

modi
if you feel you made an honest mistake and no citations were issued then i'd not think it qualifes to be mentioned. its very unlikely anyone with intent to steal would settle for 1 choclate bar! all the best

Despite not being correct what you did I would suggest you not to be more realistic than the King. If there is no record and no arrest was made or citation issued don't try to be more honest than it is needed or requested.

Take it easy and forget about it... it is like don't answer what is not asked.

And please, don't do it again....right?

Good Luck

Guys, relax!

Modi, you dont have to report anything. As far as you were concerned, one private citizen stopped you and gave you a warning. Public law enforcement never cited you.

Modi -

I recently had an interview experience, with an arrest (but you don't even have that). Everything was cool and I'm a USC now.

In your case, since there were no law enforcement involved and particularly that you were not fingerprinted by cops (as far as I know, this is the only way FBI sends your arrest info to USCIS) and all you got was a warning and a picture taken at the store - My sincere advise to you is to Quit worrying. If I were you, I would NOT INCLUDE THIS INFO IN THE GOOD MORAL CHARACTER SECTION.

pmodi said:

Paresh

The good news is that you were not detained by law enforcement and you were not charged. However, I don't think this case is as simple as that. One thing I am not clear about is the "piece of paper" you signed. Firstly I wouldn't have signed anything given to me by the merchant - nor would I have allowed them to take my photo much less post it on the wall of the store. I would have explained that it was a genuine mistake and that they should either release me immediately or call the police if they don't believe me. Did you sign a merchant confession form? If it wasn't a merchant confession form, then you probably have nothing to worry about. If you don't know what you signed, you need to find out because signing a merchant confession form could be evidence of an admission of guilt. If it was a merchant confession form that you signed, I would suggest you consult a good immigration attorney.

Read this:
http://www.lawcollective.org/article.php?id=140

It explains why you should never sign a merchant confession form.

Last edited by a moderator: