Shoplifting and N-400 application

Anjan Roy

Hi Friends,
I was arrested for a shoplifting incident (a misdemeanor) yesterday. It was a $10 item and this is my first (and certainly the last) shoplifting offense. I am scheduled to appear in the court on April 30th.

I am planning to apply for my citizenship in the first week of July. (1) Will my N-400 application be denied due to this shoplifting incident? I do not have any other criminal record.
(2) Can I do anything NOW so that the effect of this incident on my citizenship application will be minimized?
(3) Shall I delay the filing of N-400? Will that help?

Thank you very much for your help.

Consult immigration (and criminal defence) attorney before your court hearing. It may be a serious obstacle to the naturalization.

The first thing you must do is talk to an immigration attorney and seek advice on this. It is critical that the matter is resolved in a fashion that doesn't affect your ability to stay in the USA. You immigration attorney could adivse you on how to plead to the charge. It would be even better if you get your immigration and criminal defense attorney together decide how to plead the case so that your future here won't be affected. Don't skimp on money now and not get professional help.