SF-Interview and Name Change

sudha1999

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I had a citizenship interview today. I passed the test. Immigration officer told me that they are not doing name change at the office. I was told to get the name change at my district court.
I got an application from the district court for name change. The fee is $355 and I was told at the district civil section, the next court hearing hearing would be last week of october,09. It is too long to get the name chage.
Is there any procedure that can help expedite the name change process.
Because of name change, I can not take oath at the ceremony.
If I were told before, I would have started name change procedure much earlier.

I appreciate any input. Thanks.

SF/SJ DOs do not allow name change during the Citizenship process. You have to do it before or after. California is so broke; they were losing revenue ($355+$65 news paper ad you have to run) per applicant to be exact. That’s why they asked USCIS to stop doing name changes. You should have done it before the interview so you would have something in hand (Court order) and the IO simply would have made the correction in your application at the time of your interview. Now it is too late. You will get your Citizenship certificate with your old name.

Hi Norman,

Thanks for your quick response. There was another issue, related to tax due. It was an error in the filings and submitted amended form subsequently. At the time of interview, IO officer asked are there any taxes due, I said yes, and showed a letter I received from IRS, copy of amended form and mentioned some portion of due taxes paid. The officer gave me form N-14 and checked documents on what you owe the IRS and the payment plan. He gave me 2 months time to submit the requested information.

The officer told me I can submit IRS letter and payment paln and name change court order together. I need to submit these within the given time. I think, then my application will be recommended for approval, next oath ceremony and citizenship certificate follows.

Do you think, still old name appears on citizenship certificate even after submission of IRS and court documents.

SF/SJ DOs do not allow name change during the Citizenship process. You have to do it before or after. California is so broke; they were losing revenue ($355+$65 news paper ad you have to run) per applicant to be exact. That’s why they asked USCIS to stop doing name changes. You should have done it before the interview so you would have something in hand (Court order) and the IO simply would have made the correction in your application at the time of your interview. Now it is too late. You will get your Citizenship certificate with your old name.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Norman,

Thanks for your quick response. There was another issue, related to tax due. It was an error in the filings and submitted amended form subsequently. At the time of interview, IO officer asked are there any taxes due, I said yes, and showed a letter I received from IRS, copy of amended form and mentioned some portion of due taxes paid. The officer gave me form N-14 and checked documents on what you owe the IRS and the payment plan. He gave me 2 months time to submit the requested information.

The officer told me I can submit IRS letter and payment paln and name change court order together. I need to submit these within the given time. I think, then my application will be recommended for approval, next oath ceremony and citizenship certificate follows.

Do you think, still old name appears on citizenship certificate even after submission of IRS and court documents.

I didn't know you had tax issues. For the name change, it takes 4-6 weeks at Superior Court downtown San Jose. I am sure timeframe is same in SF area. 4 Weeks to run the ad in the local news paper (Order to show cause ad) and 2 weeks for the Court to complete your paperwork and Judge Sign (Decree Changing name form). <--- That's the Official Court Order (signed by the judge) you will need to show to the IO or anywhere to change your name. DMV, Social Security, U.S College Degree, employer etc.

If you start the process now, you should be done in 4-6 weeks, send that DECREE CHANGING NAME FORM, with the rest of the tax documents USCIS requesting you and see if IO accepts it. If he hasn't approved the application yet, I am sure he can make the changes once he receives your paperwork. Hope that helps.

I didn't know you had tax issues. For the name change, it takes 4-6 weeks at Superior Court downtown San Jose. I am sure timeframe is same in SF area. 4 Weeks to run the ad in the local news paper (Order to show cause ad) and 2 weeks for the Court to complete your paperwork and Judge Sign (Decree Changing name form). <--- That's the Official Court Order (signed by the judge) you will need to show to the IO or anywhere to change your name. DMV, Social Security, U.S College Degree, employer etc.

If you start the process now, you should be done in 4-6 weeks, send that DECREE CHANGING NAME FORM, with the rest of the tax documents USCIS requesting you and see if IO accepts it. If he hasn't approved the application yet, I am sure he can make the changes once he receives your paperwork. Hope that helps.

I did not know that name change during naturalization depended on the district you applied. At Newark, NJ, the name change was done at the interview and the Nat cert with new name handed over the same day, with the same day oath.

I think if you follow the IO instructions your certificate will be issued with your new name. Good luck.

Noman74,

I submitted a petition for name change today. I was given hearing date for 10/30/09 but I need to submit the tax related document by 10/26/09. IO suggested I can submit both name change court doc and tax related doc at the same time. It is not going to happen that way now. Can I request IO postpone oath ceremony because of court hearing date at the time tax doc submission.

Another question, you mentioned $65 for news paper ad. When I contacted a local newspaper admin person, they told the charge would be $236 for running ad for 4 weeks. The name change procedure is a costly business. Can I request for the newspaper ad to be run in place other than I live (city or county). I appreciate if you input any thoughts on this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Noman74,

I submitted a petition for name change today. I was given hearing date for 10/30/09 but I need to submit the tax related document by 10/26/09. IO suggested I can submit both name change court doc and tax related doc at the same time. It is not going to happen that way now. Can I request IO postpone oath ceremony because of court hearing date at the time tax doc submission.

Another question, you mentioned $65 for news paper ad. When I contacted a local newspaper admin person, they told the charge would be $236 for running ad for 4 weeks. The name change procedure is a costly business. Can I request for the newspaper ad to be run in place other than I live (city or county). I appreciate if you input any thoughts on this.

Since you have a court date on 10/30, I think that is a valid excuse. You can ask the IO if he is willing to extend your deadline for another week so you have everything ready. Most IOs are nice folks and willing to listen to you as long as it is a legit excuse which in your case you do. You can send him that court stamped copy with your case number so he knows what's going on.

For the news paper ad, you HAVE TO pick one from the list provided by the court. I am sure you got one when you picked up rest of the forms from the court. Those news papers are local in your area. I just went with the cheapest one listed on that list. Price goes from $65 to $350. Look at that list and see which one is the cheapest available in your area. (SF and SJ have different local news papers). It doesn’t matter to court as long as you publish it. But you are right. Name change on your own is a very expensive business. State considers it a luxury and they screw you big time because they KNOW you need that Court order.

Oh no.....
I'm so bummed to hear this. I was looking forward to my name change, but didn't realize that SF DO is not providing this service. I'd rather they charge me the fee as long as I don't have to go thru the process my self (posting ads etc.).

Thanks for the info, though.

Oh no.....
I'm so bummed to hear this. I was looking forward to my name change, but didn't realize that SF DO is not providing this service. I'd rather they charge me the fee as long as I don't have to go thru the process my self (posting ads etc.).

Thanks for the info, though.

Devi,

If you want to change your name, you better start the processASAP. It takes anywhere 6-8 weeks to get court hearing date. SF DO stopped providing name change service. It has to be done in your district court. If yellow letter states bring your driver's license. It is so easy to carry the DL and show it IO.
Before going for interview, make sure you are fully read and aware all items on the copy of N-400 application which was submitted. The IO started asking full name, SSN, address, phone number and all the questions listed on the form. Actual Civics and English test lasted only 2 min. The whole interview lasted for 30 min. The IO was nice and suggested me to submit the required information as soon as it becomes available.

Good luck for your interview!

SF/SJ DOs do not allow name change during the Citizenship process. You have to do it before or after. ....... Now it is too late. You will get your Citizenship certificate with your old name.

Well, cr*p. I requested a name change on my N-400 as well. I was not aware that CA will not allow it and I do not want to delay the process because of it. Can I just tell IO to ignore my request and that I will deal will that later? Also, lets say my N-400 was approved with old name, should I change my name and than get a passport? I am not planning on travelling until next summer.

Well, cr*p. I requested a name change on my N-400 as well. I was not aware that CA will not allow it and I do not want to delay the process because of it. Can I just tell IO to ignore my request and that I will deal will that later? Also, lets say my N-400 was approved with old name, should I change my name and than get a passport? I am not planning on travelling until next summer.

Some DOs in California do allow name change at N-400 interview. For example, Sacramento and LA but SF and SJ don't. IO will let you know at the interview that they don't offer this service anyways and it will be ignored.

Yes, change your name AFTER Oath through Court and then apply for the passport. Court order + Citizenship Certificate with old name will get you a U.S passport with new name.

Originally Posted by Sudha1999:
If you want to change your name, you better start the processASAP. It takes anywhere 6-8 weeks to get court hearing date. SF DO stopped providing name change service. It has to be done in your district court. If yellow letter states bring your driver's license. It is so easy to carry the DL and show it IO.
Before going for interview, make sure you are fully read and aware all items on the copy of N-400 application which was submitted. The IO started asking full name, SSN, address, phone number and all the questions listed on the form. Actual Civics and English test lasted only 2 min. The whole interview lasted for 30 min. The IO was nice and suggested me to submit the required information as soon as it becomes available.

Good luck for your interview!

Well, my interview is scheduled for next week (9/1/09), so I guess it's a little late for me to start the name change process now anyway, right? I might as well wait until after the oath? Or do you have different opinion?

Devi