Sending N-400 husband and wife - one envelope or two envelope

american2007

Registered Users (C)
For husband and wife: Which is better? one envelope or two seperate envelope while sending N-400 application.

Wife is going to change her name to married name.

Husband is the primary while getting Green Card based on employment.

I would say two separate envelopes. You can put the envelopes inside a third one if you want so they go together, but separate. I am no expert on this, but I would guess that you should submit a photocopy of marriage certificate with your wife's application and probably take the original with her to the interview. Perhaps someone else can chime in on this.

We had done two envelopes put together in third one for mailing purpose.
Also, We had sent two seperate personal checks for fees one for each.

They correctly identified both and sent two seperate notices of receipts.

Always Separate Envelopes And Separate Fees!

Hi! Each application MUST be separate as each person has their own A#. Also all fees must be paid separately...that is:

Person A: $400 in separate envelope

Person B: $400 in separate envelope

We sent both the applications in one envelope but with 2 separate checks with individual A#'s on it.
But put the check and photo's in small envelope attached to each application for clarity.

Do yourself favor and send each one in a separate envelope. You don't want to take any chance with USCIS.

we sent separate USPS priority mails. both have same notice dates and check cashing days though priority date if off by one. one reached a day later.

this is clear and no confusion. also probability of losing one in two separate mailings is lower than losing if sent in one envelope.

We sent both of our appls in one large white envelope, and used paper clips to separate the 2 applications. We got the same dates for FP, IV and oath. The times were also the same for all events.

We sent both of our appls in one large white envelope, and used paper clips to separate the 2 applications. We got the same dates for FP, IV and oath. The times were also the same for all events.

I did the same, and both (wife and mine) our timelines are exactly the same.