Sen. Hagel Immigration Reform (Employment-Related) Bill

GOD_BLESS_YOU

Registered Users (C)
Attached is the Bill introduced by Nebraska senetor Hagel On Immigration reform on OCt 25 th on the floor of Senate

check the following seciton 202

SEC. 202. ALIENS NOT SUBJECT TO NUMERICAL LIMITATIONS ON EMPLOYMENT-BASED IMMIGRANTS.

(a) In General- Section 201(b)(1) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1151(b)(1)) is amended by adding at the end the following:

`(F) Aliens who have earned an advanced degree in science, technology, engineering, or math and have been working in a related field in the United States under a nonimmigrant visa during the 3-year period preceding their application for an immigrant visa under section 203(b).

`(G) Aliens described in subparagraph (A) or (B) of section 203(b)(1)(A) or who have received a national interest waiver under section 203(b)(2)(B).

`(H) The immediate relatives of an alien who is admitted as an employment-based immigrant under section 203(b).'.

(b) Applicability- The amendments made by subsection (a) shall apply to any visa application pending on the date of enactment of this Act and any visa application filed on or after such date of enactment.

"advanced degree"

What classifies as an "Advanced Degree". Is that a Masters or JUST a PhD?

This is like relief from heaven.

Does anyone know the current status/stage of this Bill?
How does one follow up on its progress?

I like this bill. if passed it may take away many people from line. As I mentioned before, I still believe US govermentment/employers would not like US educated and trained people to leave. Also, What is the point of national interest Green card without availability of visa numbers? This proposed bill is one step in the right direction.

nashdel said:
I like this bill. if passed it may take away many people from line. As I mentioned before, I still believe US govermentment/employers would not like US educated and trained people to leave. Also, What is the point of national interest Green card without availability of visa numbers? This proposed bill is one step in the right direction.

We should appericiate the Senator by writing (email/fax), and support him on the bill. It is good logic that what is importance of NIW if there are no visa numbers?

nozdam said:
What classifies as an "Advanced Degree". Is that a Masters or JUST a PhD?
no one really knows what advance degree means
if its masters then we are lucky, if its PhD then badluck to me
that too it has to pass in the senate and house then President....

Last edited by a moderator:
Just another amnesty for illegals type of bill. I doubt this will pass.

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20040121-101221-9113r.htm
The Center for Immigration Studies (CIS), a nonpartisan, research and policy analysis think tank on the impacts of immigration, isn't keen on any of the ideas, but said the Daschle-Hagel bill is almost exactly like Mr. Bush's proposal, with two key differences.
"n the Daschle-Hagel plan, the aliens get green cards right away and don't linger in this temporary status, they are permanent upfront," CIS executive director Mark Krikorian said. "And the plan talks about labor-market protections to insure foreign workers are paid the same as American workers."
The bottom line, he said, is that both plans are amnesty foreign-worker programs. He said the current visa ..."

zamq said:
no one realls tells what advance degree means
if its masters then we are lucky, if its PhD then badluck to me
that too it has to pass in the senate and house then President....

Senator Hagel has been trying to put this bill since 2004. So do not raise your expectations level. It will never go to the voting stage specially when he is considered as a strong critic of Bush on Iraq.

I am not sure why you guys think everybody is logical and should understand that keeping us in here is helping the economy. I think after 6-8 yrs they are done with us. Its not like there is a shortage outside, they will import new bunch of educated people, on lower pay and start all over.
By the way, is this advanced degree eventually gonna change to advanced degree from a US insitution? Even if it is a PhD it might be worthwhile starting studying. The time I spend on immigration issues will get me 2 PhDs! :(

wonder how this would work. To my bad luck, even though I have a masters, i was files EB3. I may not even qualify!!

Sen hagel`s Bills is GONE IN GARBAGE

New Immigration Plan Breaks with White House
By Alan Elsner, October 25th, 2005http://www.durrani.com/newsite/news_items/nactive_disp.asp?ID=1380

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - An influential Republican Senator introduced legislation on Tuesday that would allow many of the estimated 8 million to 12 million illegal aliens in the United States to eventually gain legal status, in a proposal that broke with the Bush administration.

Nebraska senator Chuck Hagel, who is considering running for president in 2008, put forward four separate bills to address border security, employment security, create a guest worker program and encourage those in the country illegally to apply for legal status.

"Immigration reform is an urgent national security priority. We cannot continue to defer making tough choices about our nation's immigration policy. It is not in our interest to have 8- to 12-million people undocumented and unaccounted for in our country," he said.

Hagel's bills represent the third major proposal making the rounds in Congress. Additionally, the Bush administration has been fleshing out its own plan, under which illegal immigrants and foreigners could apply under a guest worker program to work in the United States for up to six years. After that, they would have to return home.

Shortly after Hagel presented his legislation, Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist met with Sens. John McCain of Arizona and Sen. John Cornyn (news, bio, voting record) of Texas, sponsors of the two rival bills, and agreed to take up immigration legislation early next year.

Frist said they would start with border enforcement where there was a lot of agreement among lawmakers, and then try to move beyond that to deal with the millions of illegal immigrants living in the United States.

All the bills that have been put forward include measures to enhance border security and create some form of guest worker program. But they differ on the key points of how and whether illegal aliens could eventually gain citizenship.

Nobody knows exactly how many people are in the country illegally. The 2000 Census estimated the number at 8.7 million and said it was growing by half a million a year. Others put the number much higher.

But the fact that hundreds of thousands of people continue to cross the Mexican border each year is fast becoming a major political and security issue.

In a CBS poll this week, just over half of respondents disapproved of the way President George W. Bush was dealing with immigration; 21 percent said they approved, and 26 percent said they did not know.

Three-quarters all respondents said they did not think the United States was doing enough along its borders to keep illegal immigrants from entering the country.

Under Hagel's proposal, illegal aliens who had been in the country for at least five years and had worked three of them could pay a $2,000 fine and apply for permanent legal status which they could get eight years later.

But Hagel acknowledged that immigration divided Republicans and might be difficult to move forward in the runup to what is expected to be tight and bitter election campaign to control Congress next year.