Self to do kit EB1

allienhead

Registered Users (C)
I would like to share these self to do kits available on internet. Any one on the forum having these kits and interested to share please repond.
Thanks!

I feel that general consensus here is that DIY kits are worthless POS's and a waste of time and money, if not opportunity.

lamonte said:
I feel that general consensus here is that DIY kits are worthless POS's and a waste of time and money, if not opportunity.

Have you used one of those kits before? Would you please share your experience or even the kit with us?

lamonte said:
No, I have not. My goal was to get an approval, not to "save" some money.

Get an approval while save some money is most people's goal. Thus why there were lots of threads asking "Recommend a good lawyer". Get more information doesn't hurt anyway. Thus why we are here to share information on this forum.

Just curious you never used such a kit, where did you get that "general consensus"? Since I am in the middle of a such deal, would like to know about it in details.

GoFast said:
Get an approval while save some money is most people's goal. Thus why there were lots of threads asking "Recommend a good lawyer".

Actually no, most people want to get an approval and get in a speedy and reliable fashion hence "good lawyer", not cheap one. The math is very simple: the cost of doing it right is much, much lower than the cost of not doing it right. I know some pretty sad examples.

Just curious you never used such a kit, where did you get that "general consensus"? Since I am in the middle of a such deal, would like to know about it in details.

Well, I've been around here for a while, so I have general recollection of what people say. Run a search - it's all in here you know.

i had bought two sets of such stuff. little help for my case except some samples of recommendation letter.

lamonte said:
Actually no, most people want to get an approval and get in a speedy and reliable fashion hence "good lawyer", not cheap one. The math is very simple: the cost of doing it right is much, much lower than the cost of not doing it right. I know some pretty sad examples.

Well, I've been around here for a while, so I have general recollection of what people say. Run a search - it's all in here you know.

I don't think a "good lawyer" has to be an expensive one. Otherwise people just go get the most expensive lawyer around, no need to search and compare around. If two lawyers can do the same thing, but one is cheaper, will you choose the expensive one?

The DIY kit for me is as followings:
1) Get to know the whole process, with this background it helps a lot on finding a good lawyer (some lawyer's assitants they don't even know the difference between EB1-OR and EB1-EA, but do a lot of cases. You can tell which lawyer is helpful and "save" your money and time);
2) Get sample letters (I searched around, no one wants to share sample letter) and prepare the letters while searching the lawyers. A lawyer will sooner or later ask you to modify the letters if they will provide, and the samples from the lawyer have been used thousand of times, you might want to get something new from other source and don't make CIS officer feel boring.
3) Pay a lawyer doing a case (like EB-OR) while I am doing another one or two as backup by myself (like NIW/EB-EA).
4) If there is no lawyer would like to do my case, do it myself (it happened for my friend).

Hope this helps out and provides some constructive information.

I have purchased DIY from greencardapply.com. The kit is okay, but is not great. You might get a flavor of the whole process. Some aspects were downright stupid: In one sample letter, if I remember correct, a graduate research assistantship was claimed as satisfying the "major award" category.

Raj1994 said:
I have purchased DIY from greencardapply.com. The kit is okay, but is not great. You might get a flavor of the whole process. Some aspects were downright stupid: In one sample letter, if I remember correct, a graduate research assistantship was claimed as satisfying the "major award" category.

The problem with these kits is that the information they give is dated and cannot keep up with the changing requirements. The example Raj cites above would certainly have worked 5 years ago but will not work today. A good lawyer will keep up with the changing environment and be able to respond quickly to new regulations and rulings. The kits have a short useful timeframe afterwhich will get you into more trouble than they are worth.

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, that too. The kits are basically an attempt to recoup the cost of the process by people who, I suspect, hired attorneys.

As to the flavor - I have no idea what my lawyer wrote in my case and I'm perfectly happy with this arrangement.

Last edited by a moderator: