Selective Service System

waiting911

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone

I have a question.. I hope someone might be able to help. When I got my greencard i was 27 plus yrs of age but before i had applied for my GC I was out of status for sometime. Now when I called the SSS they say that illegal aliens are required to register. How can I prove it at my interview that this was unintentional and that I was unaware of this law. Also is there anything that can be done?? Will I still need to get the status letter.

Please help.

Timeline
VSC (NEW YORK)

Received Date: Nov 08, 2002
Priority Date: Nov 08, 2002
Fingerprinting Notice Date: Nov 27, 2002
Fingerprinting: Dec 18, 2003
Interview Notice Date: September 10, 2003
Interview on: January 08, 2004

In my opinion, you may be able to get away as before you got your GC, you aged-out(turned 27). If you were out of status for short time only, then SSS may not be a big deal. If you were out of status for a long time, then SSS may not be your #1 concern.

My advice -> speak with an attorney before you attend your interview. $100-$200 may be well spent

Rahul,
Sicne this guy already has a GC, does it matter what his status was before that. any inappropriateness in status would have been checked at the time of giving him GC, so now he just has to behave as if he was always in status before GC......isn't that correct?

Originally posted by JoeF
Not for Selective Services.
Fact is that he was out of status and would have been required to register for Selective Services. That has nothing to do with the GC.
The only thing he can do is get the status letter.

If any of you have applied for the status letter, can you please tell me what is actually written in it?

I received my gc right before I turned 27, and the letter I received from SSS says exactly the same thing too.

Thanks again everyone for your reply.

Do any of you know of anyone who got a GC after being illegal in the country for some time? And what was his experience while Naturalization with reference to SSS?

I spoke to just one lawyer as of yet. I was advised that I wouldn't require the status letter as I was 27 plus when I got my GC and that the interview officer might not ask of the time before GC. "IF" they do ask, you will be required to send additional info and then you can take a lawyers help. Now I dont know if it is worth the risk to follow this attorneys advise. I will consult another few on Monday.

What do you guys think of this attorneys advise?

Any and all views will be appreciated. Thanks again to all of you for your cooperation.

:)

I got my gc when I was 23. Never registered for Selective Services. When I filed N400 , I attached an addendum that it was not "willfull". When the officer looked at the addendum at the time of Interview, I told him I was not aware about the requirement and when I found out about it and called SS and they told me that I was overage at that time. Also the key point is SS has not been running any advertisement since last 9-10 years and there are many people who don't know about it and so they don't register. So bottom line is don't panic, tell the officer that it was not willful and you are willing to serve the country whenever the need comes.
Good Luck.