Selective Service Question?

SemiQuant

Guys,
I got my interview letter for 7th of August.
The interview letter mentions that I get my Selective Service letter to the interview.

I came into the country when I was 23 on an H1-B. I got my GC when I was 28. I spoke to the Selective Service Rep this morning and she asked me to mail:
1. Letters from employers stating my status ( H1-B) from the time I entered the country till I was 26.
2. I-797 ( H1-B Notice of Action) - Optional
3. Passport stamps ( date of entry into US for the first time is required, all other stamps - optional)

I then spoke to my Lawyer and she says,
Since I was on an H1-B (without going to another visa or without gaps in the visa) until I got my GC at the age of 28. I just need to take my passport
and all my H1-B ( I -797 Notice Of Action document ) and that should suffice. There's no need to get a Status Info letter from Selective Service... But if you are enthusiastic... go ahead and do it. :confused:

Questions:
1. Should I get a letter from the Selective Service or go to the interview without it?
2. The Selective Service Rep did not mention the verbiage of the letter? Do any of you have a template?
3. Are there any other documents that I need?

Thanks in advance,
SemiQuant.
-----------
N400 - April 20th 2006, DO - New York
Priority Date - April 27th
FP - May 17th 2006
IL - June 17th 2006
ID - August 7th 2006.

SemiQuant said:
Guys,
I got my interview letter for 7th of August.
The interview letter mentions that I get my Selective Service letter to the interview.

I came into the country when I was 23 on an H1-B. I got my GC when I was 28. I spoke to the Selective Service Rep this morning and she asked me to mail:
1. Letters from employers stating my status ( H1-B) from the time I entered the country till I was 26.
2. I-797 ( H1-B Notice of Action) - Optional
3. Passport stamps ( date of entry into US for the first time is required, all other stamps - optional)

I then spoke to my Lawyer and she says,
Since I was on an H1-B (without going to another visa or without gaps in the visa) until I got my GC at the age of 28. I just need to take my passport
and all my H1-B ( I -797 Notice Of Action document ) and that should suffice. There's no need to get a Status Info letter from Selective Service... But if you are enthusiastic... go ahead and do it. :confused:

Questions:
1. Should I get a letter from the Selective Service or go to the interview without it?
2. The Selective Service Rep did not mention the verbiage of the letter? Do any of you have a template?
3. Are there any other documents that I need?

Thanks in advance,
SemiQuant.
-----------
N400 - April 20th 2006, DO - New York
Priority Date - April 27th
FP - May 17th 2006
IL - June 17th 2006
ID - August 7th 2006.

Your lawyer is right - since you were in the US in a non-immigrant status before your 26th birthday you weren't required to register for Selective Service. They won't ask you for the letter at the interview - it's listed on the notice only because it's a pre-printed form and shows up on everyone's notice (even women's).

Sam

Your lawyer is right.
You don't need a letter from SSS. If you read the N400 instructions, it is mentioned clearly in there. or check the FAQ thread.

Thanks,
Newbie001