Security check pending for more than 6 months...

stain

Registered Users (C)
We have passed interview in July 2003. But GC was not stamped due to the check pending on my name. (My wife's check was completed that time)

My lawyer just replied me with the same story I hear every month:

"Your name is still pending security checks.
Don't worry too much, I have many other cases that have been pending much longer than your case. "

What the hell is that name check? Who is doing it? Where?
Is there time to open a new tracker system for thos who is waiting? Is there way to call somewhere to find out about the case?

Read "I-485 Standard operating procedure"
You can find 9-28-01 version on internet

Its third agency name check
If your name sound similar to names of known terrorists or other enemies of states additional inquiry sent to CIA, FBI, KGB, AlQaeda etc.
Then they wait for answer which takes time.
People with names whisc are not simiral to ones in that list don't need this check

So if your name Saddam Hussein or Hasin or Hossein you are in trouble. This check is also known as administrative checking.
People who won GC lottery sometimes wait for half year for it.

In early times if INS didn't receive answer in some time(60 days) case considered checked, but after 9/11 BCIS should wait for answer.

It is just my suggestions

What you can do?

Really it is not but BCIS problemm - long processing
So use standard inquiries or contact congresmen etc.

http://www.lewslaw.com/US_Immigration_Updates.htm

Summary of BCIS San Jose Liaison Meeting on 05-14-2003 (05-20-2003) [Top]

Processing times
I-485 (Permanent Residence Application)

Family-based: 6 -8 months for interview to be scheduled
Employment based (transferred in): 6 months from receipt
If case continued at time of interview in December 2002 because of checks, inquiry can be made after 6 months.
If case continued at time of interview because of checks, inquiry can be made after 2 months.

Originally posted by ViktorK
So use standard inquiries or contact congresmen etc.

The lawyer makes inquiries once a month getting the same response each time. Also, she does not recommend contacting congressmen since there are many people (even among her clients) waiting for the same check a lot longer than me.

But, I would still like to proceed with a letter to the congressmen. Have know idea what to start from though and what might be an appropriate letter format...