Section 2045/106 (c)- Portability of I-140

Sachin Sampat

Registered Users (C)
I have a question about the new rule that was recently passed about being able to change jobs 6 months after you file for your Adjustment of Status/I-485 if you haven\'t got your green card yet. It\'s Section 2045/106 (c)- Portability of I-140\'s. I\'m told that so far no guidance has been provided by the INS about this. The specific questions I have are:

Q1) What kind of job change is possible? I\'m currently a New Business Development Manager (also falls into market research analyst /business analysis manager). After 6 months of my I-485 if I\'m offered a job as a management consultant or as an investment banker can I take these jobs?

Q2) Hypothetically, what if I change jobs if I don\'t get my GC 6 months into my I-485 stage and get a big salary increase of say 70% to 100%. Is this OK since I originally filed for the green card with a lower wage rate. In general what are the issues related to salary increases in this new rule?

Q3) Lastly, what if I change jobs and am then laid off in the new job before I get my green card? Can I then look for another job with a company that is willing to pick up my green card process where it was left off. How does this work?

Please advice. Thanks in advance.

No Title

I have a question about the new rule that was recently passed about being able to change jobs 6 months after you file for your Adjustment of Status/I-485 if you haven\'t got your green card yet. It\'s Section 2045/106 (c)- Portability of I-140\'s. I\'m told that so far no guidance has been provided by the INS about this. The specific questions I have are:

Q1) What kind of job change is possible? I\'m currently a New Business Development Manager (also falls into market research analyst /business analysis manager). After 6 months of my I-485 if I\'m offered a job as a management consultant or as an investment banker can I take these jobs?

Q2) Hypothetically, what if I change jobs if I don\'t get my GC 6 months into my I-485 stage and get a big salary increase of say 70% to 100%. Is this OK since I originally filed for the green card with a lower wage rate. In general what are the issues related to salary increases in this new rule?

Q3) Lastly, what if I change jobs and am then laid off in the new job before I get my green card? Can I then look for another job with a company that is willing to pick up my green card process where it was left off. How does this work?