Same day EAD Renewal in Boston Local Service Center

Irish272000

Registered Users (C)
Today (01/07/03), I got my EAD renewed at the Boston Local Service Center. This center will take renewal applications froom residents of MA and NH.

Documents Required:
1. Money Order for $120.
2. Copy of I-485 receipt.
3. Copy of old EAD card (front and back)
4. Copy of I-94 Departure Record (front and back)
5. Passport.

The process itself is very straightforward as long as you have everything required. The hardest part is the waiting around - I got to the line outside the building at 7.15 and got out of there at 11.30 - the vast majority of that time was waiting (either in line to get my number or waiting for that number to be called).

Coincidentally, today is the one year anniversary of my I-485 Receipt date. I'm not holding my breath for approval .....

----------------------------------------

RD: 01/07/02
ND: 01/17/02
FP: 03/14/02

Money Order?

I am planning to visit INS local office tomorrow and I would like the following information.

Can you please tell me where to take the money order from and on whose name.

Can I re-cash the money order in case they do not accept the renewal in person?

Thanks

re: money order

If you are going to the Boston INS office and submit your application in person, they have a convenient store down the hall way where you can buy money orders. Also, you can get your portrait pictures taken right in the waiting room.

I never used it myself, though. I always get my money order from a post office. You buy a money order of certain amount, and then fill in the name of the payee (i.e. INS).

About your second question, I do not know, although my common sense says there should be a way for you to cash the money order.

To avoid all these guesswork, I would just buy the money order from inside the JFK building.

I am planning to apply for the AP at the JFK

I applied my I 485 from VA is that ok if i go to BOSTON local INS center to get the AP ??

please post your opinions.
Thanks

Ap at Boston

I have not gotten my same-day AP processed at Boston but I DO know that they will on do same-day processing for people whose residential address is in Massachusetts OR New Hampshire.

Guys,

Please guide me through here..

My lawyer applied for my EAD renewal in Nov 2002 back in Atlanta. Subsequent to that I got an offer from a company in Boston in Dec 02 and joined them this month. I plan to relocate soon.

Question : Can I walk-in to Boston INS with EAD receipt notice and ask them for renewal card?

Thanks

Irish272000

Congratulations and Thanks very much for the detailed info. about the EAD Renewal process in Boston center. I have one query about this as I am also planning to go to Boston Center for my EAD Renewal.

If I go to Boston local office to renew my EAD (expiring in April, 03), will the EAD be renewed from the date I am applying or the date on which the current EAD is expiring (April 2003). I mean, the new EAD card will be good for Jan. 17, 2003 to Jan. 16, 2004 (assuming I am going to the center on Jan. 17, 2003) or good for April 4, 2003 to April 3, 2004 (when my current EAD expires).

I appreciate your response and Good Luck for your GC approval (hope will come soon).

Last edited by a moderator:
re. Same day EAD Renewal in Boston

Regarding the renewal date question - the data on the new card will reflect the day you renewed it, NOT the day after your current card expires.

Also, be aware that if your current card does not expire until April, they will not renew it until sometime in March (as per my attorney, if you go in a month before it expires, that's fine - it just means you are planning ahead in case all does not go smoothly; if you go 3 months in advance, they won't process it and most likely will tell you to send it to VSC).

Regarding the Atlanta/Boston question, I THINK that you will have to withdraw your current application and use your I-485 receipt to get the card in Boston Local INS (you will have to prove MA or NH residency). If you go in with an EAD receipt, I believe they will tell you to wait for the center to send tha card out. However, this is one to check with your attorney.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCLAIMER: Please be aware - I am not an immigration attorney (or any other type of attorney). Any information given here merely reflects my own personal experiences and/or beliefs. All questions should be checked with your own attorney. Any information taken from here and used by the reader is at that individual's own risk.

Re: re. Same day EAD Renewal in Boston

Irish272000

Thanks very much for your reply. Appreciated.

Regards,
feb12rd